One For The Records

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by ccrlyles, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. ccrlyles

    ccrlyles Guest

    Had a problem with my system shutting down after about two hour of use,
    this just started happenind this day. Called gateway tech support, the
    rep. id the problem a bad connector on the motherboard, gave me a SR#
    and had me send the system into gateway for repair of mother board. I
    ask it there was any chance that this was a program or hard drive
    problem and if I should backup my hard drive, she said no because she
    had Isolated the problem to the motherboard. Long story short, sent
    system in, got it back in three days with the following correction note
    by the service tech.

    REPAIRS MADE

    3rd party firewire card was causing windows errors. Removed 3rd party
    card and returning with unit. Unit had a corrupted operation system.
    Reformatted and reloaded windows and drivers. Ran full diagnostic and
    windows tests, all systems passed. David 10-12-05

    The system was reformatted in FAT-32 not NTFS like they received it, I
    had SP-2 installed needless to say got it back with SP-1, and only the
    very bare minimum of driver were install. Everything I had on the HD
    was gone. And yes I did have a backup that was 3 months old so nothing
    of real value was lost. Also, now get this I call tech and they were so
    sorry about the reformatting, so I ask them to help me to convert my
    drive to NTFS and they said I would have to take it to a computer store
    and pay to have that done, it seems they can't help with a HOW DO I
    type problem.

    ccrlyles, Oct 27, 2005

  2. ccrlyles

    Ed Guest

    Classic Gateway. That's why they are nothing more than a Sales and
    Marketing firm that slaps their name on junk out of Tiawane instead of
    actually having some hands on experiance with building/assembling real
    computers.

    Anyway, if you want to convert that FAT32 to NTFS, here are a couple
    of links for ya'......

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314097&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

    However, I am told that it is better to do a fresh NTFS format than to
    convert to it but I really don't know why.

    Regards,
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 28, 2005

  3. Jupiter Jones, Oct 28, 2005