    Kurt Todoroff

    Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
    Consent, not coercion.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Ed Guest

    I'm guessing you have the stupidity filter turned on on yours and your
    wife and father do not.

    ;-)

    Ed, Dec 17, 2006

  3. Yes, he is. It sounds like you're not new to his site. I've read his
    stuff for a couple of years (on my PC). Did you purchase his book
    "silent america"?

    I just tried his URL on IE. It still says that it cannot find the
    server. I'm wondering if the problem lies in my router.

    D-Link DI-524 HW:E1

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Dec 17, 2006

  4. "Tribes" reflects the intellectual clarity and moral superiority that a
    few people espouse and live but don't need to articulate. My daughter
    (24) read Ayn Rand's Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged in
    junior high. My son (26) didn't read these books but he's a hardcore
    objectivist/libertarian. Encourage your daughter to read these three
    books in that order. Liberalism is attractive to youngsters because
    liberals tell them that they want to "help" others. What they don't
    tell youngsters is that a Liberal is a person who feels indebted to his
    fellow mankind, and who proposes to pay that debt with your money and
    your life.

    I recommend these books to you:

    The Ten Things That You Can't Say In America (Larry Elder)

    Black Rednecks And White Liberals (Thomas Sowell)

    I tried the URL. Safari displayed the following page:

    Great Success!
    Apache is . . .

    My wife's iMac is on a different router at a different location.
    However, I compared the settings on her router to the settings on my
    router after I read your posting. Her router is a D-Link DI-624. Mine
    is a DI-524. All of the common features/settings on our routers are set
    identically. My father uses a DI-524 HW C1. Again, all of the common
    settings are identical to mine.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Dec 17, 2006
  5. Baloney!

    Why is it that so many self-proclaimed "libertarians" whine about
    liberals, and mischaracterize liberalism, while keeping silent about
    conservatism, when the real danger to society is conservatism?
    Conservatives (in the USA) seem to think that the Bill of Rights
    consists solely of the 2nd amendment.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 17, 2006
  6. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Steve Hix Guest

    That much is working, at least. Which would mean your path through your
    ISP is working.
    Are all the routers (supposed to) talk to the same server? As in, you're
    both using the same ISP?

    Are they supposed to talk to the same DNS server (or is that handled by
    your ISP)?

    If it weren't for the "can't find server" message, I'd be wondering if
    you had javascript turned off in your browser(s), but that would affect
    a lot of other sites, too.

    Could you try to connect your Mac through your wife's router? Would that
    require renting some pack animals...?

    Steve Hix, Dec 17, 2006

  7. Dave,

    I checked the DNS Server setting field. It was blank. I also took a
    look around Sharing. Nothing looked suspicious. Just a few ports that
    I've opened for iPhoto sharing, iTunes sharing, VNC, and FTP.

    I appreciate your great ideas. I hope that you have a few more.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Dec 17, 2006
  8. Steve,

    Our Macs and respective routers are at different physical locations. It
    just so happens that we both use Comcast, but in different states.
    At this point, I must concede a knowledge advantage to you and Dave. I
    don't understand your question. I suppose that my (our) ISP(s) provide
    Domain Name lookup for us.
    Java and Javascript are both enabled in Safari on my iMac.
    I don't have enough pack animals to carry 900 miles of either coax or
    Cat-5. But, thanks for the suggestion. ;-)

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Dec 17, 2006
  9. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Just because it's leftist and/or anti-American doesn't necessarily mean
    it's bullshit. One of the oft-forgotten strengths of our (that is, the
    U.S.) political system is that is permits and encourages criticism and
    challenge.

    Or it should, anyway. In the past 26 years in the U.S., dissent from
    conservative orthodoxy has been frowned upon, discouraged, squelched and
    even punished. "Conservatism" has strategically conflated itself with
    the will of God, subverting God to the service of Mammon along the way.
    In the process, the conservatives have lost their bearings and become as
    morally bankrupt as they claimed the liberals were.

    And having read some of Whittle's stuff after seeing it referenced here,
    if you think that he is rational and logical then I feel very sorry for
    you indeed. His writing is passionate, but his reasoning is distorted
    by his passions. He starts from his conclusions and works his way
    backwards, cherry picking "facts" to support his conclusions. In the
    end, he's just another supremacist (in this case a conservative
    supremacist) utterly convinced of his rightness and unable to look
    outside his bubble.

    Tim McNamara, Dec 17, 2006
  10. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Man, that's hilarious. Pathetic and deluded, but hilarious none the
    less. A liberal is a person who can look at all sides of a situation
    and choose the best way to proceed. He or she is not wedded to
    absolutism or prejudice and thus can think flexibly and productively.
    Of course many people who call themselves liberals aren't, just as many
    people who call themselves conservatives aren't. It's pretty clear from
    what you wrote that you haven't got a clue what a liberal really- just
    what Anne Coulter has told you they are.

    Tim McNamara, Dec 17, 2006
  11. Dave and Steve,

    From Network Utility:

    Lookup has started ...

    ; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> ejectejecteject.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 21323
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;ejectejecteject.com. IN A

    ;; Query time: 21 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Dec 17 18:20:49 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 37

    This tells me nothing. How about you guys.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Dec 17, 2006
  12. If you haven't tried it yet, turn off the power to your modem and router
    and restart them. Doing that cured a similar problem for me before.

    John

    John Halloran, Dec 17, 2006
  13. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Steve Hix Guest

    A Domain Name Service, roughly, converts the human-readable addresses
    that you're trying to contact into IP addresses, and vice versa.
    Most do, but some require that you enter a specific DNS address to
    enable communication outside the local net.

    It couldn't be that your ISP is blocking the site by name? I don't see
    why, frankly; it's not like Bill's site is some sort of pr0n spammer.
    :}

    I suspect that headscratching will continue anon.

    Steve Hix, Dec 18, 2006
  14. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Steve Hix Guest

    Then there are an enormous number of people flying under a false flag,
    claiming to be "liberal".

    Steve Hix, Dec 18, 2006
  15. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Steve Hix Guest

    I get pretty much the same response, with a couple of differences:
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.ejectejecteject.com. IN ANY

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.ejectejecteject.com. 13918 IN CNAME ejectejecteject.com.

    ;; Query time: 2 msec
    ;; SERVER: 10.0.1.1#53(10.0.1.1)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Dec 17 16:50:35 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 55

    The only significant differences I can see are related to the query not
    failing, as in having an ANSWER SECTION in the response.

    Do you get the same response using "www.ejectejecteject.com"? (There's
    no difference between the two here.)

    Steve Hix, Dec 18, 2006
  16. I just tried this suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

    I had some serious problems after I installed the Mac OSX 10.4.8 Combo
    updater. The problems lasted a couple of days. I powered everything
    down, waited ten minutes, then restarted everything. Solved all of the
    problems. I'd hoped that your great idea would work. Oh well.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Dec 18, 2006
  17. WELL, not so fast! I just tried it again and now I can visit the
    website.

    I did not make any changes to the OS nor did I make changes to the
    router. I simply powered everything down, waited a few minutes, then
    powered everything back up. I couldn't get to www.ejectejecteject.com
    at first, but now I can.

    Thank you to all who contributed a suggestion to solve this problem.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Dec 18, 2006

  18. WELL, not so fast! I just tried it again and now I can visit the
    website.

    I did not make any changes to the OS nor did I make changes to the
    router. I simply powered everything down, waited a few minutes, then
    powered everything back up. I couldn't get to www.ejectejecteject.com
    at first after restarting the cable-modem, then router, and then the
    Mac, but now I can.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Dec 18, 2006
  19. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Tim McNamara Guest

    IME there are relatively few people who claim to be liberals, just
    people branded as liberals by conservatives who disagree with them. And
    IME there are as few true liberals as there are true conservatives.

    Tim McNamara, Dec 18, 2006
  20. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Paul Sture Guest

    With my cable set up, I have found that I need to copy the DNS values
    reported by my router into the DNS Server setting field.

    For some unknown reason, when I rebooted last week, these had
    disappeared, and I could not reach the outside world at all. Reinstating
    them in Network Settings solved the problem.

    Paul Sture, Dec 18, 2006