    | |o o| |
    \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
    ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

    Ant, Oct 26, 2013

  2. Ant

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Oct 27, 2013

  3. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    As I was already using iCloud to sync those features, it doesn't bother
    me.

    Incidentally, it doesn't force you to use iCloud, just some supported
    method of online syncing. Choose your poison, e.g. iCloud or Google, an
    Exchange server, or you can run your own CalDAV and CardDAV servers to
    host the syncing.

    I've seen two people on Macintouch claim that USB syncing still works as
    long as iCloud is disabled (they didn't specify whether iCloud was
    disabled on the iOS device, the Mac, or both). I haven't tried, and I
    can't see how that is possible as Mavericks dropped Sync Services, which
    is what iTunes was previously using to sync data with Calendar and
    Contacts.

    It seems unlikely that Apple would go to the trouble of implementing a
    new USB sync mechanism in iTunes just for those not using iCloud, and
    then not tell anyone about it.

    David Empson, Oct 27, 2013
  4. Ant

    Guest Guest

    apple has a tech note saying it's not supported at all.

    Guest, Oct 27, 2013
  5. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Oct 27, 2013
  6. Ant

    Davoud Guest

    Ant:
    No, I find cloud syncing to be most convenient. Three users, five Macs,
    three iPads, three iPhones, several iPods. Any user can be on the road
    with any device and everything syncs quickly. Especially handy for
    calendars so that all users can keep track of scheduled events and
    avoid scheduling conflicts. To have to carry a portable device to a Mac
    and sync data via a wire would be soooo last century. :)

    Davoud, Oct 27, 2013
  7. Dear Alan and friends:

    I have a question about iCloud Contact sync, maybe you can answer it.

    At home, we have only one Mac and each of the four family members have a
    Contact Group defined on it. And all of us sync only the Contact Group
    belonging to him/her through USB, so on each iOS device we get the Contact
    Group belonging to his/her owner only.

    Is it possible to do the same using iCloud sync, or all the iOS devices of
    each family member will receive and sync the four Contact Groups?

    Thanks a lot in advance.

    Juan I. Cahis, Oct 27, 2013
  8. Ant

    Alan Browne Guest

    I hope someone will answer this for you. I've had such mixed and
    inconsistent results with iCloud sync (single user) that I wouldn't even
    guess at your situation.

    Alan Browne, Oct 27, 2013
  9. Ant

    bj Guest

    I don't like the idea of the Cloud belong the only option.

    Maybe I won't get a Mac after all, my Win system does still work just fine
    for what I do.

    Hopefully, by the time both companies ruin things too much, I won't be
    caring that much anymore anyways.
    bj
    (Ok, I know, I'm an old fogey)

    bj, Oct 27, 2013
  10. Ant

    Davoud Guest

    Ant:
    OK. À chacun son goût, n'est-ce pas?
    Why would you even consider getting a Mac if Windows is working for you?
    Your belief that change equals ruin would tend to support that.

    Davoud, Oct 27, 2013
  11. Ant

    Ant Guest

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5460803 (lots of angry and upset
    posts) and
    https://www.change.org/petitions/apple-bring-the-100-offline-sync-for-ios-back
    Rest in peace (RIP) to the final/last grand(pa/king/male delate). He is
    with Lord now. :~(
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Oct 27, 2013
  12. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I also submitted a Bug Reporter (https://bugreport.apple.com/) ticket to
    have local sync(hronization) features back in 10.9+.

    Ant, Oct 27, 2013
  13. Ant

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Tim McNamara, Oct 28, 2013
  14. Ant

    bj Guest

    Apple does not seem to agree with you.
    They think the cloud is the cat's pajamas.
    They're certainly very pleased with themselves over it,
    Things can change, and I'm just considering options & "what-ifs".

    I'm certainly not eager to tackle the learning of new systems & application
    software I'd need to use . OTOH MS makes changes too, and if I were to have
    to acquire & learn a bunch of new stuff (my current system isn't immortal,
    after all) I might as well consider a system that meshes well with my
    mobile devices.

    But if Apple is going to make it difficult as well, I'll need to rethink
    how I approach those options.

    Judging by the extended forum thread on the subject that someone posted a
    link to, I'm not the only person who for one reason or another prefers not
    to *have to* use the cloud for syncing content. (I hadn't realized they'd
    already taken away notes syncing but I do have a viable solution for that,
    if not as convenient as the built-in-app.)

    I'm certainly thinking about how I'm going to manage when Apple ditches
    local-sync of info for Windows as well. They have a touching confidence
    that everyone has not only constant cloud access but limitless data plans
    as well.

    I realize that the current "rush to the cloud" is here to stay. It does
    remind me a bit of the not-that-old days of everything on the company LAN
    -- when it went down you couldn't do anything; if it crashed & lost data,
    you were screwed.
    bj

    bj, Oct 28, 2013
  15. Ant

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    No, they do agree. Rather, I agree with them. The cloud is the way to
    go for synching media, contacts, mail, calendars, and what-have-you
    among multiple devices. What am I to do, carry my desktop Macs around
    the house when I want to sync them? Run home from a long trip when I
    want to sync my iPhone?

    Davoud, Oct 28, 2013
  16. Ant

    Király Guest

    Yes. I have an iPod Classic, which Apple seems to have forgotten that
    they still sell. With Mavericks, all of my contacts and calendars were
    deleted from it and I can't put them back on. It sucks.

    Király, Oct 28, 2013
  17. Ant

    Michael Eyd Guest

    Am 28.10.2013 17:20, schrieb Todd Allcock:
    Your decision.
    And I think that there are still many people out there (many more than
    you think), that would rather not put anything into any cloud - least
    any private information. Might be different in the US, but in Europe
    e.g. mentalities may differ quite a lot from the ones in the US. And the
    latest discussions about the NSA (and others) spying on basically
    everybody don't help here either...

    Best regards,

    Michael

    Michael Eyd, Oct 28, 2013
  18. Ant

    Davoud Guest

    Michael Eyd:
    Wow! That means no web surfing, no e-mail, no USENET, no Internet full
    stop--because it all puts personal stuff on the the remote servers that
    we have come to call "the cloud."
    Everybody? Really? Europeans are so poor at basic arithmetic that they
    think that NSA can spy on /everybody/ ? Or Europeans' egos are so
    puffed up that they think (hope?) that they are important enough to
    draw the attention of the U.S. Intelligence Community? Wrong again.

    Davoud, Oct 28, 2013
  19. Ant

    Erilar Guest

    Is the current assumption that everyone with any device now has full- time
    cloud access anywhere on the planet? Not true.

    Erilar, Oct 28, 2013
  20. Ant

    Erilar Guest

    Yet another "up"grade I'm fortunate not to be able to install, I see.

    Erilar, Oct 28, 2013