Only getting USB1.1 speeds on external USB2.0 drive - help please! (K7N2)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Ian, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    I have a pc based on an MSI K7N2 motherboard bought approximately a year
    ago. It has the latest BIOS and I am running Win XP Pro with SP1. I
    have just tried to add an external Maxtor 200 Gb IDE drive and bought an
    external USB 2.0 drive case which appears to have a Genesys Logic
    controller.

    Although everything appears fine under XP and the device is detected and
    there are no error messages or problems showing in Device Manager the
    drive appears to be transferring at USB 1.1 speeds rather than 2.0.
    Using a test program my main HD (a Maxtor 120Gb) shows around 50 Mb/s
    whereas the external 200 Gb Maxtor supposedly running USB2.0 gives only
    11 or 12 Mb/sec and is painfully slow in actual use.

    OK, so here is some of the background info:

    The manual for the motherboard says that it has a USB 2.0 EHCI/1.1 OHCI
    controller.

    My BIOS is set as follows:

    Integrated Peripherals -> Onboard Device -> OnChip USB -> V1.1+V2.0

    This is the information shown by Device Manager on the USB components:

    Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller <<<<<
    version 5.1.2600.0

    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    version 5.1.2600.0

    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    version 5.1.2600.0

    USB Mass Storage Device
    version 5.1.2600.0

    USB Root Hub
    version 5.1.2600.0
    devices: cable modem, wheel mouse, 1 port available

    USB Root Hub
    version 5.1.2600.0
    devices: game controller, 2 ports available

    USB Root Hub
    version 5.1.2600.0
    devices: USB Mass Storage Device, 5 ports available

    Each of the Root Hubs shows:

    Device type: Universal Serial Bus controllers

    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

    Location: Location 0

    This is the info provided by SiSoft Sandra:

    General Information
    Controller : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

    Root Hub
    Compound Device : No
    Hub Is Bus Powered : No
    Power Switching : Gang-switched
    Over-current Protection : Global
    Number of Ports : 6

    Root Hub: USB Port 1
    Device Connected to Port : USB Mass Storage Device
    OEM Device Name : Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
    Device Version : 0.02
    Device ID : VEN_05E3, DEV_0702, PRT_00
    USB Version : 2.00
    Speed : High (480Mbps)
    Configuration Settings : 1
    Open Pipes : 2
    Transfer Type : Bulk
    Data Packet Size : 64 bytes

    Root Hub: USB Port 2

    Root Hub: USB Port 3

    Root Hub: USB Port 4

    Root Hub: USB Port 5

    Root Hub: USB Port 6

    When I first connected the external drive I did get a message to the
    effect that I had a high speed device on a non-hi-speed controller or
    words to that effect. I then manually updated all the drivers and
    haven't had that message since.

    Tech support at the shop I bought it from have been next to useless and
    I've also posted a message on the MSI motherboard forums but had no
    meaningful replies.

    Is there anyone who might be able to help me sort out this problem as
    I've been trying to solve it for days and have run out of ideas
    completely now.

    Ian, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Ian

    Sandi Guest

    Ian,
    I setup a this kind of board recently and on the driver disk it wanted me to
    go to microsoft to download something for usb20and winxp. I didnt since I
    have no usb20 devices. I think there is a separate hoop you have to jump
    though.

    guppy23

    Sandi, Jul 25, 2004