    menu.

    Any way to clean this up, or reset whatever file (?) stores these
    listings?

    AES, Mar 14, 2010

  2. AES

    DvC Guest

    Maybe it is possible thru the Terminal, but a free app like OnyX
    <http://www.titanium.free.fr/> will permit you to rebuild the Launch
    Services.

    DvC, Mar 14, 2010

  3. AES

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    1 Proceed to <username>/Library/Preferences and look for
    com.apple.LaunchServices.plist.

    2 Drag that file to the Trash.

    3 Reboot.

    4 Empty the Trash.

    The record of all apps which have been used, and where they are, and what
    they do, has now been removed. This means that when you launch something your
    Mac will think that this is the first time you've used it, and will put up
    the 'Are you sure you want to do that?' dialog. It also means that all the
    duplicate items in the 'Open With' list will be gone.

    You get the dupes by having multiple volumes with the same applications
    installed. If, for example, you have a boot volume, and a volume cloned from
    the boot volume, and a Time Machine backup volume, you might have up to three
    examples of the same app listed. Killing the Launch Services plist will clear
    the paths to the other copies of the app.

    Note that you can use file utilities such as Onyx and, I think, TinkerTool,
    to reset Launch Services as well.

    J.J. O'Shea, Mar 14, 2010
  4. AES

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I think a normal restart following a "Safe" boot (i.e with the shift key
    depressed) will also rebuild the LaunchServices database.

    Tom Stiller, Mar 14, 2010
  5. AES

    dorayme Guest

    Indeed yes, which raises a question, is there a way to stop this
    particular behaviour - ie. showing all apps on all connected
    volumes? How to show *only* the apps on the starter disk?

    dorayme, Mar 14, 2010
  6. AES

    AES Guest

    Thanks for helpful reply.

    I do do SuperDuper! "Smart Update" backups of clones of my primary
    MacBook, once a week from my primary MacBook to a "Standby MacBook"
    opened in Target Disk mode, and every few days to a FireWire pocket
    drive.

    Those are the only two volumes that are ever connected to my primary
    MacBook, however, and they're normally immediately disconnected once the
    backup is complete (and, no Time Machine, yet).

    But, that could be the problem.

    Thanks again.

    AES, Mar 15, 2010
  7. AES

    Nick Naym Guest

    I've had similar experiences, except that several of the "multiple" apps had
    different version numbers appended to their names in parentheses. It took me
    forever to realize that each of the "multiples" was associated with a
    different external drive (some containing a different software version) that
    I had attached to my Mac at that particular time. (It was the different
    version numbers that triggered my "eureka moment.")

    Nick Naym, Mar 15, 2010