    diagnostic that would run from a DOS promt. Their FAQ was of no help,
    either.

    Thanks for any help/info/sites that would solve this glitch.

    seabat, Nov 27, 2004

  2. seabat

    Euan Kerr Guest

    Prime suspect would be the hard drive. Suggest you identify the
    manufacturer of the drive then download the diagnostics for it from
    the mfr's web site. You may find Everest useful to ID the drive,
    freeware downloadable from here:
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    Euan Kerr, Nov 27, 2004

  3. According to their license agreement it's only 30-day trialware, with
    the following in the license agreement:

    /*
    ANY ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT ANY EXPIRY DATE TECHNOLOGY/TIME BOMB
    MECHANISM OR OTHER MECHANISM CONTAINED WITHIN THE SOFTWARE WHICH IS
    INTENDED TO LIMIT YOUR ABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE TO A SPECIFIED
    PERIOD IS A VIOLATION OF THIS LICENSE.
    */

    See if you can find a copy of Aida32 online anywhere, it really is
    freeware, and says so in it's license agreement.

    William P.N. Smith, Nov 29, 2004
  4. seabat

    seabat Guest

    Tried both of them, and nothing is being displayed. Seems this drive
    doesn't have SMART drive capabilities. Been to the Dell web site and
    they give all the specs for this laptop, except for the hard drive! Go
    figure! All I know about it is the size, at least what is reported in
    BIOS.

    seabat, Nov 29, 2004
  5. seabat

    Euan Kerr Guest

    William P.N. Smith wrote in
    <snip>

    You missed reading the qualifying clause to part 3 of the licence
    i.e. "IF THIS PRODUCT IS IDENTIFIED AS A TRIAL VERSION, ..."

    The Everest Home Edition is identified as "EVEREST Home Edition is
    a freeware system information, system diagnostics and benchmarking
    solution for home PC users... "

    Euan Kerr, Nov 29, 2004
  6. What does Device Manager say about it? The other option is to undo
    the one screw, pullthe hard drive, and read the label...

    William P.N. Smith, Nov 30, 2004
  7. seabat

    seabat Guest

    Whew what a long road this has been! I finally got info that the drive
    is a Fujitsu MHF2043AT. Went to Fujitsu and downloaded their disk
    diagnostic and ran and it everything came up roses.

    So the only thing that I can think of is that the drive is loose and
    not making contact all the time. I have re-seated it and pushed it in
    as far as it will go without crushing the drive itself. I tightened
    all the little screws around it. I looked at the connector on the
    drive and on the laptop but could not see any bent or damaged pins and
    no way to make the connection tighter, short of jamming a piece of
    wood in there. :p

    Fujitse had no FAQ relating to this problem, and their real person
    chat seems to be out of commission. Didn't see any email addy.

    Oh, yeah, the status code reported by the diagnostic was: B000F4 if
    that means anything to anyone.

    Thanks for the help.

    seabat, Dec 3, 2004
  8. That sounds strange for "everything comes up roses" and B000F4 to mean
    the same thing. Only Fujitsu will know for sure...

    William P.N. Smith, Dec 4, 2004
  9. seabat

    seabat Guest

    OK, got to yak with Fujitse tech rep today and they tell me the same
    thing, that the drive is fine. Except when it can't be found and then,
    of course, a body can't do any testing on something that can't be
    seen. And then they told me that I should contact Dell. So here we go
    with passing the buck.

    Any way, while I was 'chatting' with them, the hard drive started
    making some nasty, constant clicking noises. So I guess this is the
    end for this piece of hardware!

    Any one know where a body can find a reasonable (read cheap) new or
    used replacement for this puppy?? It doesn't have to be a Fujitse,
    does it? I could install another brand as long as the size specs and
    the BIOS/Operating system can handle the storage size, right?

    Thanks again for any help.

    seabat, Dec 10, 2004
  10. That's correct, most drives are the standard (small) size nowadays,
    though you can always check the specs on the old and prospective new
    ones to be sure. I've had good luck with NewEgg and CDW for drives,
    and others swear by ZipZoomFly. Not sure I'd buy a used laptop drive,
    as you don't know what shape it's in...

    William P.N. Smith, Dec 10, 2004