    had. The Easy Tune was rubbish.... have they worked this out yet?

    Test report link I found compared it to MSI but looked scptical to me:
    http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=182&page=10

    Vince, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Vince

    Predator Guest

    I have it, works as advertised.

    But it sounds to me like you want a board that can overclock. I ran into a
    website a week ago that had the overclocking protential, pros and cons of
    all the socket 939 motherboards in their forums, unforunately I can't find
    it

    Predator, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Vince

    Vince Guest

    Overclocking will be a nice bonus, but I seldom use it.
    The easy tune feature advertised implies "overclocking possibilities"
    but I find it mainly fake on the older ones.

    Are you using the 90um 939 Athlon?

    Thanks.

    Vince, Feb 6, 2005
  4. Vince

    Predator Guest

    Yea easy tune does work, it lets you OC the fsb, voltages and bus speeds
    although I found it too generic. Overclocking these processors takes some
    research. I also used nvidia's ntune but didn't like it either. Like you I
    didn't buy it to overclock so I attempted it only half heartedly. I believe
    if you really want to OC you are probably better off doing it from the bios
    ..

    my chip is a 64 3000+xp 90nm winchester

    Predator, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Vince

    Ed Light Guest

    Just +.2v adjustment for memory.
    I'll probably get one.
    Check the newegg reviews, but they sometimes don't post bad ones, sometimes
    they do.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Vince

    Vince Guest

    Thanks for comments.

    I will be getting one soon, unless something deterimental comes up on
    this board. Looks like Giga have gone pass their bad times with the
    old P3 boards with little faults.

    Vince, Feb 7, 2005
  7. Vince

    Vince Guest

    I Wonder!!!

    This came off the Rage3d.com Forum:
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33795794&page=1

    Dec 16, 2004, 03:02 PM #11
    DiaperJe|\|i3
    Shadow Wang

    Location: Back to Timmies!

    I'm thinking -
    Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 NF3 S939 Mainboard w/Audio/GBLan/SATA/RAID
    and
    AMD Athlon64 3000+ S939 Processor, Retail
    unless the 3200+ drops down to the $200 (can) range. Probably not
    going to happen till after christmas though. Just not good timing
    right now.

    ============================
    Dec 16, 2004, 05:12 PM #12
    Gator
    Unreal Super Moderator

    Location: New York

    I hate to say this but as much I like to recommend Gigabyte brand and
    Nforce3, I just built a rig for my friend using the Gigabyte K8NS
    Ultra S939 and it's having a LOT of problems. We don't know yet what's
    to blame, but the CPU fan kept failing if plugged directly into the
    board, and it keeps rebooting randomly. Strangly my Gigabyte K8NS Pro
    NF3-250 S754 is rock solid stable, and so is my father's Gigabyte K8N
    Pro NF3-150 S754. I'll keep you posted if we resolve the problems, and
    additionally we're building another rig with the same board. I'm
    hoping it was just a defective board or memory... I'll let you know.
    __________________

    Vince, Feb 7, 2005
  8. Yes, I have A64 3000+ Winchester on this board and works good
    No problems, "rock solid" motherboard. When you want "dual channel", you
    must put memory sticks in memory slots with same color...
    I have this processor overclocked at 2250 Mhz at default voltage (FSB
    250 Mhz, memory set to 166 Mhz - real frequerency about 204 Mhz, HTT set
    to 4x), but not use Easy Tune, only settings in BIOS. I know there are
    people with this processor overclocked to 2500 - 2700 Mhz, but when I
    try set FSB over 250 Mhz, my computer hangs... Maybe adding some volts
    can help ... I try this in the future...

    --
    Roman SÄ…siada
    katoda(znaczek)poczta.onet.pl

    =?UTF-8?B?Um9tYW4gU8SFc2lhZGE=?=, Feb 7, 2005
  9. Vince

    Vince Guest

    Vince, Feb 7, 2005
  10. I have two sticks of this memory
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR400X64C3A/256
    2 x 256 MB Kingston ValueRam (CL3 at 200 Mhz, CL2.5 at 166 Mhz, CL2 at
    133 Mhz)
    In other system (Barton 2500+ and mobo with nForce 2) this memory works
    at 230 Mhz FSB. In my system, when I have memory at 166 Mhz and FSB at
    260 Mhz, memory works really at 212 Mhz (so this isn't a high frequency
    to this memory), but - I think - at CL 2.5, so this can be a trick. If I
    have more time, I try to play with memory settings etc.

    =?UTF-8?B?Um9tYW4gU8SFc2lhZGE=?=, Feb 7, 2005
  11. Vince

    Ed Light Guest

    BTW if you get it don't miss the part in the manual where they give quite a
    few memory combinations (that you're not really likely to do) that won't
    boot.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Feb 8, 2005
  12. Vince

    Ed Light Guest

    I'm hip to setting the memory slower and bringing up the bus. Can you do a
    synopsis of how to know where to set the hypertransport?

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Feb 8, 2005
  13. At BIOS main screen hit Ctrl-F1 and you see new item - Advanced Chipset
    Setup. In this section you can see setting for HyperTransport (1x-5x),
    memory timings, AGP aperture size etc.

    --
    Roman S±siada

    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Roman_S=B1siada?=, Feb 8, 2005
  14. Vince

    Ed Light Guest

    Thanks, Roman.

    Is there a url for how to use the hypertransport ratio while overclocking?

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Feb 8, 2005
  15. Vince

    Peter Geddes Guest

    Be careful with Corsair memory. I have 2 * 512MB of Corsair RAM (the ones
    with the Activity LED's) and I'm using the latest F8 BIOS for the
    GA-K8NS-939 and I have never been able to use it in Dual Channel.

    I can only get the thing to boot with the sticks in slots 1 & 3. Anything
    else all I get is beeps.

    Not a bad board otherwise.

    Peter Geddes

    Peter Geddes, Feb 8, 2005
  16. I know some URLs, but all are in polish (i.e.
    http://www.clockmehigh.com/xtreme/rapra/A64-art/Tajniki A64.html).
    Rule to overclock with Hypertransport ratio is simple: don't overclock
    HTT in this mobo over 1000 Mhz, because system can hang or will be
    unstable. So if you have FSB set to 200 Mhz - HTT ratio can be 5x, 4x or
    lower. With FSB 250 Mhz - 4x, 3x or lower. There's no noticeable
    differences in performance with HTT on 1000 or 800/700 Mhz.

    Another question is memory clock speed, it changes with FSB and memory
    divider. In Ga-K8NS-939 BIOS these settings are too complicated (i.e. if
    you set memory speed at 166 Mhz, memory can be clocked even 200 Mhz...),
    so I use this tool
    http://forum.tweak.pl/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=33
    Set FSB, memory divider, CPU multiplier and as result you can see real
    memory clock.

    --
    Roman S±siada

    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Roman_S=B1siada?=, Feb 8, 2005
  17. Vince

    Ed Light Guest

    Thanks, Roman, I'm all set to go!

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Feb 8, 2005
  18. Vince

    Bailua Guest

    G'day all

    Can someone fill me in on the sound that comes with this card before i buy
    it this week. I know it says 8-channel codec through a universal audio jack,
    but how the hell do you get 8 channels from this? Also, i note this MB does
    not come with S/P DIF in/out as far as i can tell, whereas the ultra does.
    Does anyone actually use it anyway?

    Cheers
    B.

    Bailua, Feb 12, 2005
  19. Vince

    David Wilts Guest

    I have tried two separate 3000+ Winchesters on this board with little
    luck in the OC department - I know my PS and Ram are solid (TAGAN 550W
    and HYPERX DDR 500) - I've seen bunches of people hitting 2.5 - 2.7 but
    I can barely get to 2.25

    David Wilts, Feb 17, 2005
  20. Vince

    Ed Light Guest

    Are you lowering the hypertransport multiplier and setting the memory
    slower?

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/