Opinions on my prospective new rig:

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sixsixsixtynine, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Currently have a CPQ Presario 5441 circa 2000. 64 MB, 10 GB, 475mhz. Dialup
    and WinME. Use it for storing binaries, word processing, vidcapping and
    Internet/USENET.

    Reasons for looking for a new box: MS discontinuing support for ME and my
    desire for a CD burner. My locale doesn't figure to get DSL or cable
    anytime soon, so dialup it is for the near future.

    I get an EPP discount from my work, so I'm looking at:

    Dimension 2400
    P4 2.4
    512mb
    40GB hard, since I plan on burning whatever I DL
    48x CD-ROM
    48x CD-RW
    56k modem
    XP Home
    MS Office

    Questions: How expandable are Dimensions? If I plan on going to a 1 gig
    processor sometime how hard would that be? The only system hangs I get now
    are when I try to play CD's via Media Player while I'm 'capping TV
    images--and I hope 512mb instead of the 64mb I have now will fix that...

    Should I spring for the 80gig HD?

    Nowhere in the specs that I've seen does Dell list how many USB ports this
    box has. I could use about four. Is that a major thing anymore, or does
    everyone buy USB hubs from the store and be done with it?

    Thanx, y'all!

    --
    http://home.att.net/~damonhynes/
    L'altra macchina mia e` una barchetta rossa

    Sixsixsixtynine, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Sixsixsixtynine

    Jim LaRosa Guest

    Jim LaRosa, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Sixsixsixtynine

    Tom Almy Guest

    The 2400 has limited expandability. The 4600 would have at least two
    advantages -- AGP video card instead of embedded video and ability to
    add a second hard drive. It also will have better performance, although
    you don't have any application which is particularly CPU intensive.
    You mean 1 GB of memory. It's easy to do even on a 2400.
    I've seen temporary system hands when inserting CDs on every system.
    However a processor with HyperThreading (called "HT Technology" in Dell
    pages) might solve the problem. I don't have one to know. For this you
    would need a 4600.
    I'd expect you would want the space, also would want the DVD burner.
    4 in back 2 in front. The 4600 has 6 in back, 2 in front.

    Also, compare the price you get through EPP with that on the Small
    Business site. I've found on the systems I've bought EPP has cost more.

    Tom Almy, Nov 2, 2003
  4. Sixsixsixtynine, Nov 3, 2003
  5. You need to consider a virus program when purchasing your system.

    Carolyn Taliaferro, Nov 3, 2003