Opinions wanted on new system config.

Discussion in 'Abit' started by mso999, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. mso999

    mso999 Guest

    I'm about ready to do a system upgrade and I'm looking for some
    opinions on my options.
    I use the machine for mostly general stuff, some games, and some still
    photo and video editing.

    My current system is an Abit BE7, with a P4 2.2Ghz CPU. I've been happy
    with the Abit motherboards and would like to stay with them.

    Some of the things that are driving my selection are that I have 1.5G
    of DDR PC3200 RAM (Samsung CL3 chips) and an ATI Radeon AGP based
    video/tv tuner card (All in Wonder 8500) that I would like to keep.

    I'm currently running XP SP2, but would like to go with a processor
    that supports 64 bit version (for future). I'd like to go with a dual
    core system, but the Abit motherboards that support Intel's dual core
    are all DDR2 and PCIExpress (no AGP) boards so I would have to replace
    the RAM and video.

    Within my price range, and keeping the items I want to retain, I've
    narrowed my choices down to the following:

    AS8 with a Pentium 4 650 3.4Ghz Intel 865PE chipset.

    AV8 with an Athlon 3800+ 64 X2 dual core, VIA K8T800 chipset

    I've always used the Intel chips, but am leaning toward the AMD system
    due to the dual core capability and the various reports of better
    performance and lower heat than the Intel chips.

    I am not in any way trying to bash AMD, but I've had no personal
    experience with their CPU's and the Via chipset. Are there any issues
    related to AMD/VIA systems? Also, I know CPU clock speed isn't
    everything, but is the AMD 3800+ at 2.0Ghz comprable to the Pentium 4
    at 3.4Ghz? Intel has a larger L2 cache, but AMD's L1 is bigger. How
    much of a difference does that make? I would imagine the AMD dual core
    outperforms Intel's Hyperthreading.

    I realize that either system would work for what I need, but both
    configurations are about the same price and I'd like to get the best
    performance for my money.

    I have done some Google searching, and found all kinds of benchmark
    tests comparing Intel and AMD, but nothing specific to my choices and I
    am just looking for some opinions on what I've come up with.

    Thanks.

    - Mike O.

    mso999, Nov 23, 2005

  2. mso999

    Ron Gibson Guest

    VIA is OK but straight out the box installs tend to default to preferring
    Intel.

    IOW I like the 865PE - Running it here w/ P4 3Ghz CPU, 800MHz FSB.

    Ron Gibson, Nov 27, 2005

  3. I'm not sure what you mean by "..straight out the box installs..." Are you
    talking about Windows? I always assume any initial installation is going to
    have issues until the drivers are updated, configured, etc.

    I've always been using Intel CPU/Chipsets, and would normally stick with
    Intel, but I like the idea of getting a dual core processor without having
    to purchase new RAM & video. The ABIT Intel dual core motherboards all
    require DDR2 & PCI Express video. That puts the price for the system
    upgrade of of my range.

    Also, AMD and VIA are a lot more "standard" now then they used to be when
    they first started out.

    As I said, I'm leaning to the AMD, but was looking for any feedback on the
    configurations described and possibly if someone's using the AMD config, are
    there any major (or minor) issues involved.

    Mike O.

    Mike O'Donnell, Nov 27, 2005
  4. mso999

    Ron Gibson Guest

    Yes and yes.
    You may have other issues. I prefer Linux myself and except for the very
    latest implementations it covers about everything using the default
    kernel installation option.

    Intel has been good in being consistent. Support for about all of their
    stuff is solid.

    Ron Gibson, Dec 8, 2005
  5. mso999

    stanley Guest

    i think agp is going to fade away as pcie is so much faster..i have a
    ati aiw 7500 agp card. the ram you have 3200 is going to seem slower as
    time goes by too as ram gets faster all the time. you may have a
    bottleneck at the ram and video card

    stanley, Apr 30, 2007