Opteron 165 and A8N-SLI?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by creAtive oBscura, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. I'm going to be building a new PC from scratch this weekend or so. I
    am planning on buying an AMD Opteron 165 with an Asus A8N-SLI
    motherboard. I have never overclocked a cpu, memory, or gpu. I would
    like advice on anything and everything anyone would happen to know
    about. Is the A8N-SLI a good motherboard for overclocking? I chose it
    because its only $110, and I built a system a month or so ago with an
    A8N-SLI Deluxe and it went flawlessly, but no over clocking. Also, is
    the 165 going to work and act just like a Athlon 64? I have read an
    article or two on it and its overclocking abilities. Also, do I
    overclock using a piece of software, or through the bios? If software,
    what is the best, free software available? Any Info would be much
    appreciated.

    All I plan on doing is some minor overclocking. I was wondering what
    is the best
    motherboard (for under $125), or if the A8N-SLI is fine, and how.
    Either software or
    through BIOS, and what version of bios. I was just considering bumping
    the 165 from 1.8 ghz to like 2.1 or so. As it is, its pretty much a
    3500+ X2, but it has a better Level 2 cache than the 3800+, it's
    basically the same core as the FX-60, but that runs at 2.6 and the 165
    is @ 1.8. Is overclocking it that much that big of a deal? What is the
    difference in overclocking and just buying the next step up in speed of
    the same processor? I realize the heat issues and stuff, but why are
    the next step up in processor able to use the same stock cooler then?

    Also, if my case is decent, will the stock cooler with some artic
    silver 5 be fine? or is there a better cooler out there for less than
    $35?

    Remember, all I want is a little 300mhz increase, hoping it will be
    stable and I will be able to sell to a friend.

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 15, 2006