    software already available, since the Opteron is no worse than any of the
    existing 32-bit chips out there when running simply 32-bit software.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 14, 2003

  2. Opteron is an interesting chip - mostly re timing.

    Xeon was a nice niche for Intel:
    o Dual P4 under a different brand-name with pricing power
    o Lags P4 in availability
    ---- so pushes more into stumping up for pricey-but-now
    ---- or making more stump up for the higher-new-entrant price
    o Slower evolution, more A-B-C-D-E than just A-C-E
    ---- so more profit milked

    Unfortunately, motherboards were similarly price-premium
    o 380-500/board
    o Physically large enough to sleep on (E-ATX)
    o Fussy PSU & memory

    Opteron pressures intel in low-single-digit revenue growth,
    and profits not of the past PC demand-exceeds-supply era.

    Worse, the G5 comes along in dual-CPU form with good
    performance and a good price - and good overall package.

    Which is all great for Intel buyers, as there's still no sunbed
    or sunlounger time for Intel - only faster offerings. Hopefully
    that will mean faster bus & I/O bandwidth re Opteron HT.

    Apple & AMD still prodding Intel - so Moore's Law realised :)

    dorothy.bradbury, Sep 18, 2003