Options for Using Commercial Web-Site that "Requires" IE6

Discussion in 'Apple' started by madmac63, Mar 31, 2008.

  1. madmac63

    madmac63 Guest

    Mac Fans,

    I'm a MacBigot from way back - got off the bandwagon in 1994 with the
    PowerPC and the native/non-native mode swapping that turned using a
    Mac into russian roulette . . . I've been a BSD and Linux person
    since, but I've watched The Resurrection with pleasure.

    At any rate, my friend, a delightful and attractive woman, bought a
    spiffy new Intel-based iMac a few months back, and now she'd like to
    use it to access a web-based business application that is telling her
    she can't run it because Safari is Mozilla 5 and the site requires
    Internet Explorer 6 or later.

    The guy at the Mac Store told her to buy a copy of XP Home and use
    Bootcamp. I find this distasteful - putting $100 in to Micro$oft's
    pockets for a CD and cardboard box goes against the grain of my
    thinking.

    What other options are there? I assume that the Mac community has
    done something with WINE or some other emulation option . . . VMware
    server and I can finesse her a WinBlows license . . .

    Or are there ways to foof the Browser Version that Safari reports?
    Unless the site is doing some really shitty .NET crap, having Safari
    current with the latest JRE installed should suffice, nyet?

    Please save me from having to install WinBlows on a perfectly good
    Linux . . . er I mean Macintosh . . .

    Thanks in Advance,

    Doug

    madmac63, Mar 31, 2008

  2. madmac63

    Guest Guest

    it's also possible that the web site is stupid and looks at the user
    agent and blocks anyone not running the 'correct' browser. if that's
    the case, it can be spoofed, but there might be a few glitches.

    Guest, Mar 31, 2008

  3. madmac63

    billy Guest

    There is also the possibility that it looks at the Java ID string,
    which user agent spoofing does not change...

    Billy Y..

    billy, Mar 31, 2008
  4. madmac63

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Safari is not Mozilla-based.
    Get Opera and tell it to pretend it's IE6
    If that doesn't work, oh, well.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    You're all individuals!
    Yes, we're all individuals!
    You're all different!
    Yes, we are all different!
    I'm not!

    ("Life of Brian")

    Wes Groleau, Apr 1, 2008
  5. madmac63

    Ian Gregory Guest

    The current crop of web developers are reaping what their ancestors
    sowed when they embraced the dark side and started browser sniffing. Now
    browser developers have to set these crazy UA strings in attempt to
    second guess the sniffers and get these old (or not so old) festering
    heaps to do the right thing, or rather, the least wrong thing.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Apr 1, 2008
  6. madmac63

    Wes Groleau Guest

    But note that almost all of them (including IE6 and IE7) identify

    Mozilla/#.0 (REAL NAME) .....

    where # is either four or five.

    Rank Browser Name Number of requests
    1. Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Yahoo! Slurp;
    http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/slurp) 5,902
    2. Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1;
    +http://www.google.com/bot.html) 2,500
    3. Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR
    2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506) 2,153
    4. Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR
    1.1.4322) 1,686
    5. Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
    1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) 1,548
    6. Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11)
    Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 1,474
    7. Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR
    2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) 1,469
    8. Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322;
    ..NET CLR 2.0.50727) 1,407
    9. Gigabot/3.0 (http://www.gigablast.com/spider.html) 1,404
    10. msnbot-media/1.0 (+http://search.msn.com/msnbot.htm) 1,269
    11. Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR
    1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) 1,134
    12. Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1) 1,072
    13. Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
    1.1.4322) 1,053
    14. Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR
    1.1.4322) 1,043
    15. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11)
    Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 955
    16. msnbot/1.0 (+http://search.msn.com/msnbot.htm) 946
    17. Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) 779
    --
    Wes Groleau

    After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
    all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
    three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
    said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
    stay with you guys."

    Wes Groleau, Apr 2, 2008