    The computer does not good graphics
    It needs fast network and disk response time.

    Any comments? thanks in advance

    zigipha, Jan 15, 2006

  2. zigipha

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm not familiar with the Dimension 6150, but the Precision 380 is an extremely
    well engineered box. Good graphics, which you do not need. Also fast and quiet
    hard drive, room for expansion to add drives and memory. Gigabit Ethernet,
    which is about the best you can do within a building... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 15, 2006

  3. zigipha

    S.Lewis Guest

    Throw out the Optiplex 170. It has little expandability and/or features. It
    is, in essence, the same box as the Dimension 2400/3XXX machine.

    The 5150 should be a responsive machine with no management features and you
    could utilize the integrated graphics.

    The Precision may have more horsepower and options than you want. What
    about the mid-level Optiplex GX 520 or 620 machines?

    jmo....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 16, 2006
  4. zigipha

    Jay B Guest

    i wouldnt use the 5150 as a server -- not peppy enuf.
    i would never touch a 170. i like the gx620.
    above that is the prec 380, the best of the 3 you mentioned and way
    better than the other 2.
    why are you only comparing those 3? you should consider the optiplex
    gx620, cheaper than the 380 and better for running as a server.
    even the 9150 is better than the 5150.

    Jay B, Jan 16, 2006
  5. zigipha

    zigipha Guest

    Thanks for the input...i was considering those 3 simply as a starting
    point..cost is also an issue.

    I was thinking of 1 G RAM and 80 Gbytes of hard disk for the OS and
    application data. I have an external USB drive to back up the
    application data. I was considering a RAID 1 as an option.

    I currently have a no-name clone 1.8G P4 with 512 MB and a ATA/100 hard
    disk as the server running windows 2k as the server (just file and
    print).. Everything else has been "upgraded" to a 2.4G or higher.

    thanks again

    zigipha, Jan 16, 2006
  6. zigipha

    Jay B Guest

    how much were you lookingto spend?
    dell has a poweredge sc430 on sale now for about $500, w/o operating
    system, but with 1gb ram, and dual 80g drives. this is the easiest way
    to get into a nice machine with little money. the other systems you
    mentioned are much more than that.

    my current server is running win2k, on 550 mhz clone box i built from
    scratch with only 512mb ram and it is fine as a regular server. its also
    running sqlserver with dual 40gb drives. i am about to out grow it and
    just got a sc1420 server, loaded win2003 server and loaded it with 300gb
    drives. will be cutting it over soon. but it makes a lot of noise
    (fans) and gives off a lot of heat. i'm sorry that i got it, but always
    wanted a xeon processor. i recently sold one of those 430's to a client
    and it is really sweet.
    if i were you, i'd consider that deal, or an opitplex gx620. those are
    your only choices!

    Jay B, Jan 16, 2006