    So where does one get the metal piece that is needed to put a floppy
    drive in place?

    William

    William R. Walsh, Jun 16, 2008

  2. William R. Walsh

    Ben Myers Guest

    William,

    FWIW, the Optiplex 170L chassis is identical to the Dimension
    2300/2350/2400/3000/4600/4700, except for the different plastic front bezel.
    IIRC, the 170L motherboard is remarkably similar to either the 2400 or the 3000
    motherboard.

    I think you may get the drive and the bracket as a single assembly, but don't
    count on it... Ben

    Ben Myers, Jun 16, 2008

  3. William R. Walsh

    S.Lewis Guest

    It should actually be an "assembly" - you're right.

    Dell spare parts should have it listed as an "assembly" rather than a
    "part".

    The "assembly" includes the drive, the drive cage, and the floppy ribbon
    cable if I recall correctly.

    And you're also right that it's the same assembly used for the Dimension
    models you've listed.

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 19, 2008
  4. William R. Walsh

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, indeedie. I've moved floppy drive assemblies around among these various
    systems... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 19, 2008
  5. Hi!
    I'm not able to get enough detail from the Dell parts web site to be
    sure what I'd get after ordering the part.

    Why they didn't just put the darned piece in there to start with is
    beyond me. (The Dimension 8300 is set up this way--you can just add
    any old floppy drive if you didn't order one at time of assembly--and
    that is verbatim from my owner's manual. So is the Dimension E521.
    Both would need a ribbon cable, and in the case of the E521, a darned
    long one. But it can be done, everything else is there including spare
    screws or rails.)

    Fortunately, I have a Dimension 2400 with a floppy drive factory
    installed. I may try machining a duplicate of the mounting piece.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Jun 19, 2008