    The BIOS is A02, the service tag is 69SSV0J and the power supply is
    PS-5251-2DFS, 250 watts.

    Any thoughts out there? Thanks, Tom

    Guest, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    The Optiplex GX270 has had an unfortunate history of motherboards going bad due
    to bad capacitors. Open up the case and examine the capacitors, those little
    cylindrical objects sticking up from the surface of the board. The capacitors
    should be perfectly cylindrical and free of any residue. Signs of a failed
    capacitor are bulging at the top or sides and goo or hardened stuff on the
    capacitor surface. Some capacitors explode.

    If the system is still in warranty, get a replacement from Dell. If the system
    is out of warranty, request a replacement anyway. Dell has taken serious heat
    for the GX270 mobo problem, one of the reasons why Dell's earnings are down.
    Dell has had to replace a lot of the GX270 mobos among its large customers
    especially... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 4, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank for that Ben. I checked all the capacitors, including those
    hidden under the CPU fan housing, and all are pristine.

    Is there a possibility the power supply is the problem? Is there a way
    to check it? Thanks, Tom

    Guest, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Guest

    S.Lewis Guest

    Tom -

    The easiest and most inexpensive way is to buy a simple ATX go/no-go power
    supply tester, available at most big box or even local stores:

    Example: http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77003 (less
    than $20, and nice to have around)

    If you're an electronics guy and own a multimeter/voltmeter already, you
    could also verify function with that.

    Don't dismiss Ben's post out of hand as he is exactly right. Dell took a
    $300 million charge off due to these system boards, and if it's the board
    they will likely replace it for you.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 4, 2006
  5. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    The other way to determine if the power supply is marginal is by substituting a
    generic one. The GX270 tower uses a standard ATX-12v form factor. Good ones
    are readily available... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 4, 2006