Ordered my first Dell last night - 8300 Dimension

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Paul Beaty, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. Paul Beaty

    Paul Beaty Guest

    Thought I'd give a running commentary in case it was helpful to anyone. I
    ordered from the UK.

    I decided what I wanted on-line, and rang in my order on the condition that
    I got it at the same price as the on-line price, and with a free Logitech
    camera. No problem there, I was told I could order it at the same price +
    with the camera.

    It was an Indian call centre, but accent was no problem, just having to
    repeat a couple of things. Satish, the person I placed my order with gave
    me his direct number for any queries, said he'd ring back in 15 minutes to
    confirm my order had been placed, and he did. Told me I'd receive an email
    shortly confirming my order spec, and I did within the hour.

    On reading the spec I wasn't sure if the Dell mouse was an optical mouse so
    I sent him an email. Within 5 minutes he was on the phone to me confirming
    it was. 10 out of 10 so far.

    Regards

    Paul B

    Paul Beaty, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Paul Beaty

    BWL Guest

    Yeah, the ordering end of it has always been smooth with me, too.

    I only had problems (lots) AFTER the sale, in the tech support areas and
    with repair/replacement issues.

    Hope your experiences-to-be are much more pleasant.

    BWL, Dec 8, 2003

  3. When I had previously bought a Dell, there was always a lot of discussion here
    about tracking the price until 30 days from purchase, and having Dell refund any
    price drop. But, I've seen no mention of that this time around, when I've
    bought an Inspiron 8600. Is this refund still available? I realize that given
    all the changing specials determining price could be difficult.

    Dave Morgenlender
    e-mail:

    David Morgenlender, Dec 8, 2003
  4. Paul Beaty

    Paul Beaty Guest

    Yes, I hope so - The PC I have now, 6 year old & slow, no RAM to speak of,
    not much hard drive memory left, hasn't given me any problems whatsoever.
    I've never needed any replacement parts or Tech support. It's a Gateway,
    but they stopped selling them here a year or 2 ago. I just hope Dell's are
    as reliable.

    Paul B.

    Paul Beaty, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Paul Beaty

    Irene Guest

    I think you will find the Dell hardware quite good.
    When the problems begin, as BWL said, is when you need to get some technical
    or after sale assistance. Dell Technical and Customer Support people used to
    be among the best in the industry. I'm sorry to say that has changed. It
    has gotten so bad that Dell has relented and moved the "corporate" Technical
    Support back to the U.S.
    Unfortunately you and I are still stuck with the out sourced Support people
    in India.

    Irene, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Paul Beaty

    r1 Guest

    I've been buying Dells for about 8 years and yes, they're very reliable -not
    perfect. Vicious price competition has forced Dell and other PC makers to
    make cost cuts with the result that tech support suffers.

    r1, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Paul Beaty

    Dawn Killick Guest

    You might want to check that they haven't debited your credit card
    immediately and then told you to expect delivery in February.

    Dawn Killick, Dec 8, 2003
  8. yes. call customer service (not sales, not tech support) within 30 days from
    the date of your invoice/packing slip (not the date you received your
    system) and ask them to check if your system purchase qualifies for a price
    rebate. they will tell you that you can only make this request once and ask
    if you want to do it at that time or wait (hence it is probably advantageous
    to wait till close to the end of the period). they will only issue a credit
    if the amount is over $50. they do not consider promotions into this
    adjustment (which can work for or against you). it is good to document the
    name of the person that you spoke with and note the confirmation number that
    they offer. good luck.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Paul Beaty

    KLR Guest

    Paul, Good choice - just got an 8300 and am very pleased so far.
    Ken

    KLR, Dec 8, 2003
  10. Paul Beaty

    KLR Guest

    FYI - Not applicable in Canada as a rule, but worth a try. Dell USA is
    a usual practice. In Canada, they say that there is no price
    protection. Wish both would follow the same practices - the US one.

    KLR, Dec 9, 2003
  11. Thanks. I'll follow your suggestions!

    Dave Morgenlender
    e-mail:

    David Morgenlender, Dec 9, 2003
  12. I'm in the US. So I guess I may be getting some money back ... I better check
    those prices!

    Dave Morgenlender
    e-mail:

    David Morgenlender, Dec 9, 2003
  13. Paul Beaty

    Paul Beaty Guest

    Thanks

    No they haven't taken any money Dawn - The delivery date was given as 7/10
    days.

    Paul B.

    Paul Beaty, Dec 9, 2003
  14. Paul Beaty

    Dave Guest

    You can also do it online in Dell-Talk's Customer Service forum. Same
    rules apply.

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 10, 2003