ordering replacement part from DELL! my experience

Discussion in 'Dell' started by wen l chu, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. wen l chu

    wen l chu Guest

    i tried to order the power adaptor for my laptop inspiron m600. my call
    went to Austin, TX on 10/8/04 @1730. To my surprise, the following things
    happened in sequence
    1. service tag #- i can understand why they need that
    2. what happened to my adaptor-i can understand why they asked me this
    question
    3. how do i use my computer- for what???
    4. ask me to buy both adaptor and extra battery even i told him that i only
    need to buy a replacement adaptor
    5. then he tried to sell me 2 adaptors- i can understand that his job is to
    sell
    6. then asked my social security # and my mother's maiden name- for what???
    when i requested to speak to their supervisor, i was told by their
    supervisor john ID 2372 that it is for the security reason directed by
    federal government. he also told me that i was trying to order the power
    supply which can be used for Atomic bomb.
    am i just too paraniod to give out my information? i believe i can
    go to another computer vendor including local computer stores to buy
    anything i want as long as i pay them with no question asked, especially my
    SS#. do you agree?

    regards
    wlc

    wen l chu, Oct 10, 2004

  2. wen,
    I would sure balk at providing my ss number. If all vendors did this due
    to law I wouldn't have a choice. Till they do, I'll find one that doesn't
    need my ss number.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Oct 10, 2004

  3. wen l chu

    Tom Scales Guest

    In fact, it is illegal to require it for a transaction. They can ask, but
    you can refuse and they cannot make that a condition of the sale.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Tom,
    Good to know, thanks.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Oct 11, 2004
  5. wen l chu

    schnoopy Guest

    you honestly expect us to believe this rubbish?! if the laptop power
    adaptor "can be used for Atomic bomb" then the power supply of my old 486
    might be able to create unlimited fusion power!! mohohohhahahaha

    i can't believe people have responded to this like it was a real post...

    schnoopy, Oct 12, 2004