Organizing Fonts with Font Book in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Apple' started by TaliesinSoft, Aug 28, 2010.

  1. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I'm using a Macintosh running Snow Leopard and use Apple's Font Book to
    manage my font collection of about a thousand fonts. I have a single
    administrator account and several user accounts. I like to be able to
    have different groups of fonts available when signed onto different
    accounts.

    What I have done is to organize my fonts into Font Book libraries which
    are then located in folders within Cowboy/Users/Shared where Cowboy
    happens to be the name of my internal hard drive. A given font can
    appear in multiple such libraries if such is desired.

    The only fonts in Cowboy/System/Library/Fonts are those that are
    installed there by default by Snow Leopard. And there are no fonts at
    all in Cowboy/Library/Fonts. I've noted that some applications
    automatically install fonts in this location, possibly replacing like
    named fonts already there, and if so immediately after installing such
    an application I export the fonts from Cowboy/Library/Fonts and place
    them in an appropriate library in Cowboy/Users/Shared.

    As an aside, I like the fact that when a group of fonts is exported via
    Font Book that each family is grouped into its own folder. As an
    example, the family Arial as supplied as part of Snow Leopard includes
    four separate font files, and these files are then separated from all
    of the others and placed into their own folder upon export.

    I am interested in what organizations other people might have decided
    to use and why.

    TaliesinSoft, Aug 28, 2010