    Still, I can think of nothing dumber than an audible alarm with no clue
    given as to what the alarm is for. Been doing this since it was new last
    May. Very frustrating!

    Salgud, Mar 25, 2009

  2. Salgud

    Tim Streater Guest

    You're fantasising again, Trollio.

    Tim Streater, Mar 25, 2009

  3. Salgud

    Davoud Guest

    Who would sit and listen to an audible alarm for 10 months without
    taking it to a professional to find out what is causing the alarm?

    Davoud

    Davoud, Mar 25, 2009
  4. Who would sit and listen to an audible alarm for 10 months without
    taking it to a professional to find out what is causing the alarm?

    Davoud[/QUOTE]

    With any luck, an idiot stupid enough to wait until their warrantee
    expires. Then, when Apple wants $900 to replace their logic board,
    they'll throw up their hands in disgust, flounce out of store, and go
    buy a Dell (they'll get what they deserve). And, hopefully, we'll never
    hear them whining about a Mac again...

    Michael Vilain, Mar 25, 2009
  5. Even dumber is someone who can't describe a problem accurately and
    properly.
    I'm sure that being dumber than dirt is very frustrating for you.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 25, 2009
  6. Salgud

    E Z Peaces Guest

    That happened to me. I had to replace the battery in my smoke alarm.

    E Z Peaces, Mar 25, 2009
  7. Sorry. I'll try to do better next time. I was trying to avoid
    insulting the intelligence of microbes.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 25, 2009
  8. Salgud

    VAXman- Guest

    Please stop insulting the intelligence of dirt! :)

    http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

    VAXman- , Mar 25, 2009
  9. I get a beep when I accidentally hit a keyboard command that can't be
    accomplished under the circumstances.

    It's the inaudible alarms that frustrate me. They've been driving me
    crazy for years. The girl at the Genius Bar has verified that she can't
    hear them, either. She wouldn't tell me what causes them. She says she
    ignores them, but I think she's only pretending to ignore them.

    Jerry Trumball, Mar 25, 2009
  10. Salgud

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Bummer for you. Huh, you share a lot of headers with "Clare" from
    another newsgroup who practices as a troll there...

    Tim McNamara, Mar 26, 2009
  11. It's the ones that really mean something's about to go South that bother me.
    The other ones I can't hear I have trained myself to ignore. Wrapping
    the Mac in a double layer of aluminum foil also seems to work though.

    John McWilliams, Mar 26, 2009

  12. Heh, almost the same here. I got annoyed at my APC UPS starting to beep,
    could not figure out what was wrong for a week. Then I realized it was
    the smoke-detector....

    Mathias Koerber, Mar 26, 2009
  13. A few years ago, I got annoyed at my smoke detector beeping all the time
    to tell me that the battery was low. I replaced the battery and that
    didn't fix the problem. Turns out that it was the cell phone telling me
    that I had voice mail.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 26, 2009
  14. Salgud

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Funny you should mention that. The past few weeks at work, where I'm
    forced to use Windows, I've several times a week heard an alert, but
    can't find any pop-up or error message to explain why.

    And some of those times, I've been studying code on screen,
    not typing nor moving the mouse.

    Ah, I just figured it out. Must be software using the built-in camera
    to detect my eyelids drooping. No, wait, that machine has no camera....

    ANYWAY, I guess that makes the answer to your question: "Microsoft!"

    Or, is there even the remotest possibility that it's not the O.S.
    but third-party code installed either by us or bad the black hats?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage.
    But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine,
    is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it.

    Wes Groleau, Mar 26, 2009
  15. Salgud

    VAXman- Guest

    There are no smoke detectors in APC UPSs.

    http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

    VAXman- , Mar 26, 2009
  16. Salgud

    salgud Guest

    or bacon. But that's a topic for another thread.

    salgud, Mar 26, 2009
  17. I once had the same problem with a Windows PC in 1999 or so. It turned
    out to be something wrong internally with Norton Utilities' recycle bin
    replacement.

    Never had that problem with a Mac, though.

    Steven Fisher, Mar 26, 2009
  18. Salgud

    E Z Peaces Guest

    I have. I was surfing when I heard a periodic ping. I walked around
    the room but couldn't tell the direction. I went around the house
    checking things like phones, smoke detectors,microwave, and clocks.

    It was a popup ad in the background. Perhaps a mono ping coming over
    two speakers is hard to locate, but I wondered if a mischievous
    programmer had made it a complex stereo ping.

    E Z Peaces, Mar 26, 2009
  19. I'm sorry, you're too stupid to own a computer. Here's an Atari 2600
    instead. That's all you're ever allowed - sorry, but it's for our own
    protection from your idiocy.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 26, 2009
  20. .... *terror*

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 26, 2009