    Did I have some sort of system pref (mis) set or
    Has it been this way all along and my premature senility
    cleared briefly, letting me see the truth...

    Mr. Uh Clem, Apr 6, 2006

  2. You are hallucinating--or rather, you were hallucinating because when
    you quit an app, it does not continue to run.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 6, 2006

  3. Mr. Uh Clem

    Steve Hix Guest

    If you quit an application, it quit.

    If you closed the last open window, the application remains, running, it
    doesn't/didn't quit the application.
    Which is what they've always done, unless something went wrong with the
    application.
    Are you used to Window's behavior; closing the last open window quits
    the application?

    Steve Hix, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Depends on the application.

    John Rethorst, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Mr. Uh Clem

    Ajanta Guest

    Well, to assume the most charitable possibility instead of outright
    hallucination, the app may have been stuck and so wouldn't quit when
    told to. In such caes we would use "Force Quit".

    Ajanta, Apr 6, 2006
  6. Mr. Uh Clem

    Mr. Uh Clem Guest

    Based on above responses, I guess I've usually just used the
    red button at the upper left, which closed the window and as
    pointed out, that does not quit the app when the last one is
    closed. Lately, I've used cmd-Q much more. I'm stunned that
    it took me a couple years to catch on to this.

    **sigh**

    Thanks!

    Mr. Uh Clem, Apr 6, 2006
  7. Mr. Uh Clem

    Paul Sture Guest

    I've found that some applications _do_ quit when the last window is
    closed via the red button at the upper left (or cmd-w), but other don't.
    :)

    Paul Sture, Apr 6, 2006
  8. Mr. Uh Clem

    Dave Seaman Guest

    Longtime Mac users may recall the days before MultiFinder, when only one
    application could be running at a time. Quitting an application would
    get you back to the Finder, but just closing the document would leave you
    apparently hanging in limbo.

    Dave Seaman, Apr 6, 2006
  9. And to add to your confusion, there are some apps that do quit if you
    close all their windows (although, usually, these apps have only one
    window).

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 6, 2006
  10. This is one of the hallmarks of document based apps. However, one is
    free to make apps that are not document based that one might expect to
    exit when you close the last active window. That is, not all OS X apps
    should be expected to behave like a doc-based app when it does not make
    sense. Apple provides usability guidelines for both sorts of applications.

    I'm usually fine with that, except for the case of cross-platform apps
    (i.e., Java apps) where the standard Windows paradigm is supported:
    closing the window closes the app. In these cases I've had to remember
    that I really mean "hide".

    Of course, there are poorly written apps everywhere. Real
    cross-platform usability can be a hard nut to crack.

    A recent challenge for our app was that Windows users do not expect
    long-running clients to persist when they close the window. We've had
    to place an icon in the taskbar to notify Windows users that we are
    still active, with a user-settable property that controls just what the
    "close window" button does to our document-based view (i.e., if you want
    to kill the app with that button, we allow you to, but it is not the
    default). Unix users (we do not have an OS X client) have no problem
    with the notion of a long-running client.

    void * clvrmnky(), Apr 6, 2006
  11. Mr. Uh Clem

    Steve Hix Guest

    Right, there are some exceptions, such as System Preferences.

    Steve Hix, Apr 7, 2006
  12. Then you weren't quitting. Except for exceptionally poorly written apps,
    there has been no time in the 20+-year history of that Mac that quitting
    an application did not quit the application.

    Closing a window on the other hand, has historically _not_ quit
    applications. It has become, in the last couple of years, recommended
    behavior for certain classes of utility apps.

    Gregory Weston, Apr 7, 2006
  13. If I recall correctly, in earlier releases of OS X System Prefs would
    remain open on close until you deliberately quit it. I prefer the new
    behaviour. Other apps, like Apple Help, though technically "document
    based" now assume you want to dismiss the app when you close it.

    void * clvrmnky(), Apr 7, 2006