    export OSTYPE=linux

    Thanks for your help.

    Lothar

    lothar.behrens, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Those commands should work if you use /bin/bash instead of /bin/sh (on
    Linux /bin/sh is just a link to /bin/bash). But the traditional Bourne
    shell syntax is:

    MODULELIB=lbModule.so
    export MODULELIB

    Barry Margolin, Feb 11, 2005

  3. On Mac OS X, /bin/sh and /bin/bash are the same thing. Different files,
    apparently, but identical.

    Tom Harrington, Feb 11, 2005
  4. Oh, you're right. I checked the inodes, I didn't notice that they were
    the same size.

    They're both bash, but bash checks what name it was invoked as; where
    there are incompatibilities between bash and traditional Bourne shell
    behavior, it switches to Bourne behavior when invoked as sh.

    However, I just checked and it understands

    export <var>=<val>

    in either mode, since this is an upward compatible extension of Bourne
    behavior.

    Barry Margolin, Feb 12, 2005