OS X file associations lost on files restored to Windows server

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Shari, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. Shari

    Shari Guest

    We recently migrated from a Novell to a Windows 2003 server and all of
    the files copied to the directories that do not have extensions (as
    they were created by Mac users) lost their associations.

    The only way that they are reassociated is if we add file extensions or
    each file is opened and closed (which changes the date).

    As we have tens if not hundreds of thousands of files, the manual
    approach is impossible.

    Is there a program for OS X that recognizes the proper associations and
    adds a file extension or just reassociates the files, displaying the
    proper icon?

    I found one program, but you have to specify the type of file.

    I'd appreciate any help.

    Thanks.

    Shari

    Shari, Nov 18, 2005

  2. Shari

    Hans Aberg Guest

    If you figure out how to extract the associations (which the System
    Preferences program Default Apps apparently can do), you can write a UNIX
    script.

    Hans Aberg, Nov 19, 2005

  3. Shari

    Hans Aberg Guest

    It's not so difficult if one can get the file associations extracted.
    Those are an essential part of the underlying UNIX OS. :)

    Hans Aberg, Nov 19, 2005