OS-X Firewall: Sufficient?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Gary Morrison, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. I see that OS-X has a built-in IP Firewall. Do you folks find that it's
    generally sufficient?

    Gary Morrison, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Gary Morrison

    matt neuburg Guest

    A firewall is a firewall. The issue isn't whether the firewall is
    sufficient, but whether the interface to configuring it is sufficiently
    fine; if not, there are third-party interfaces. m.

    matt neuburg, Oct 19, 2003

  3. I gather that by "fine" you mean something of the nature of "fine-toothed,"
    so that it can allow certain things and block others at a sufficient level of
    detail.

    Gary Morrison, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Gary Morrison

    matt neuburg Guest

    Exactly so. The firewall can do this perfectly well, but Apple doesn't
    necessarily provide you with a GUI for telling it in detail what you
    want. m.

    matt neuburg, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Gary Morrison

    stan Guest

    My Mac at work has no firewall software at all, nor a hardware firewall.
    Its been on a T1 line for several years with high speed Internet access
    to/from it. No problems.

    stan, Oct 20, 2003
  6. Looking at the history windoow of the firewall on my MacOS 9 critter, I see a
    whole lot of correctly blocked access attempts. They seem to average a spurt
    of 2-3 every 3-4 days, although the most recent "attack" has been unusually
    long - a little over a week.

    Gary Morrison, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Gary Morrison

    GRGAUD Guest

    [GR] So how would you go about fine tuning it? I imagine there are
    provisions to do so?

    GRGAUD, Oct 20, 2003
  8. Gary Morrison

    Hugh Wolf Guest

    Look at the ipfw man page, or at any web documenation for bsd ipfw.

    Hugh Wolf, Oct 20, 2003
  9. Gary Morrison

    GRGAUD Guest

    [GR] Okay, thanks for the info.

    GRGAUD, Oct 20, 2003
  10. How does one on OSX 10..2.8 look at history of attempts?

    Michael

    G. Michael Paine, Oct 20, 2003
  11. Gary Morrison

    Hugh Wolf Guest

    The standard osx firewall rules don't log, so you can't unless you
    write your own rules.

    I used to log all this when I was running linuxppc but nowadays I've
    come to the conclusion that it's pointless. All it does is fill up
    your log files with useless data. Your internet provider is highly
    unlikely to want it (mine definitely doesn't) and unless you have some
    professional interest in computer security there's nothing useful you
    can do with it yourself (directly contacting the admins of what seems
    to be the offending network is almost always a waste of time).

    Hugh Wolf, Oct 20, 2003
  12. Thanks,
    You most likely have saved me from a lot a useless inquiry that would of
    lead no where anyway .

    -M.P.

    G. Michael Paine, Oct 21, 2003