    the question? What about a G3 beige Power PC?
    Any advice welcome.

    Regards, David

    David Pitt, Nov 12, 2003

  2. David Pitt

    Tim McNamara Guest

    I have run OS X since 10.0.3 up to 10.1.5 on a 233 mHz Rev B iMac with
    384MB RAM. I think it runs just fine and I have been very pleased
    withOS X. It is vastly more stable than any preceding Mac OS I used
    with this computer (originally 8.1, IIRC), vastly more powerful and
    IMHO vastly more useable. I think OS 9 is dead.

    Tim McNamara, Nov 12, 2003

  3. David Pitt

    Oxford Guest

    I have run OS X since 10.0.3 up to 10.1.5 on a 233 mHz Rev B iMac with
    yes, any "translucent" hardware and above will work fine... so 233Mhz
    iMac with 128MB (256MB more likely) will work... it's surprising how
    well the old imacs work with OSX... be careful of video issues on the
    bubble imacs... it's nearly impossible to tell if you are going to get
    one... but be aware of the fairly common problem... also you may need to
    update the "firmware" on any old machine you get... it's free, and
    downloadable at apple support site... apple.com/support

    have fun!

    oxford

    -

    Oxford, Nov 12, 2003
  4. David Pitt

    fishfry Guest

    Memory is cheap these days and lots of it is absolutely essential to
    running OSX. I don't think 266MHz is a problem. You should have at
    least 500MB though, and more is better.

    fishfry, Nov 12, 2003
  5. David Pitt

    Tim McNamara Guest

    The, the Open Firmware issue is a significant issue, and anyone
    contemplating installing OS X on a Rev A to D iMac would do well to
    search the archives in this newsgroup at Google for "iMac Open
    Firmware OS X" to avoid some serious pitfalls. Adding my name will
    point you to articles that specify which OF Updater has to be used for
    a Rev B iMac- it's not the one that comes on the OS X CD...

    Tim McNamara, Nov 12, 2003
  6. David Pitt

    John Brock Guest

    If you apply all firmware updates *before* installing OS X are you OK?

    I am looking at a possible upgrade of a slot-loading G3 iMac to OS
    X, and my thinking was to upgrade OS 9.0.4 to 9.2.2 and also apply
    all firmware updates, and only then install OS X. Is there some
    official order in which everything needs to be applied?

    John Brock, Nov 24, 2003