    Be sure to update such and such...

    Suggestions for tweaking settings or prefs.

    etc...

    M. Landers, Jul 9, 2003

  2. M. Landers

    Guest Guest

    Strongly seconded. LaunchBar rocks.

    Other things I use constantly (also, mostly shareware, too):

    Remember? (By Dave Warker - been using this for _years_)
    GraphicConverter
    PithHelmet (add-on for Safari - filters out advertisements)
    Watson (what Sherlock _should_ have been)
    X11 - X-server - get it from Apple
    (and all the wonderful things X does for me...)
    (especially rdesktop, which lets me see my crappy
    windows machines when I VPN into the office)
    Camino (for when I don't use Safari)

    Guest, Jul 9, 2003

  3. M. Landers

    wheat Guest

    Thirded on Launchbar. And an admonishment to learn how to use it beyond
    the basics. The love affair will only be strengthened.

    In addition to X11 (or XDarwin), Fink, Fink Commander, anacron.

    PTHPasteboard. Having multi-paste options is wonderful.
    Scriptmenu

    wheat, Jul 9, 2003
  4. M. Landers

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Check these out.

    www.macorchard.com for all Internet apps.

    www.tucows.com - most downloads worth having.

    www.macupdate.com for all software updates.

    Personally my must-have's are: (after 8 years of using a Mac).

    MacSOUP for newsreading.
    Safari for browsing, IE5 I have for the odd site that has crap code.
    Mail, I also like Eudora, but it's rather dated looking now.
    Graphic Converter, if you're into photos this is an absolute *must* have
    - not Freeware, but it's worth every cent.
    VueScan for your scanner, may even work better than your manufacturers
    software - if you have a scanner.

    And for Unix and XWindows.

    Fink - it's really the only way to use Unix packages with OSX, and makes
    it so easy. You'll also need Fink Commander, which makes it even easier.
    X11 - the Aqua front end for Unix.
    Open Office - more or less MS Office, but for free.
    GIMP - comes somewhere between Graphic Converter and PhotoShop, but
    again for free.

    In fact, if you want a real choice of free softwares, then you may want
    to seriously consider the X11 install. Information can be got on the
    Apple web site.

    Andy Hewitt, Jul 9, 2003
  5. Tom Harrington, Jul 9, 2003
  6. Default Folder:

    http://www.stclairsoft.com/

    Steven Fisher, Jul 9, 2003
  7. M. Landers

    M. Landers Guest

    Thanks very much to everyone who contributed suggestions.
    Now I just have pack-up my old G3 and go buy my new PowerBook!!!

    M. Landers, Jul 9, 2003
  8. M. Landers

    M. Landers Guest

    Thanks for all of the suggestions!
    Now all I have to do is actually go buy a new Powerbook!!

    M. Landers, Jul 10, 2003
  9. M. Landers

    Davoud Guest

    M. Landers:
    This post is one of the best illustrations I have seen of the
    importance of hyphenating compound adjectives. The subject, for
    example, means something entirely different from what M. Landers
    intended it to mean.

    Davoud, who once saw a man eating tiger.
    <http://www.davidillig.com/aboutpage.shtml>

    Davoud, Jul 10, 2003
  10. There was at one time (don't know if it still exists) a newspaper which was
    combined from the merger of the News and the Free Press -- the News-Free
    Press. I believe it was in Chatanooga.

    Phil Stripling, Jul 10, 2003
  11. The Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press publish a combined Sunday
    Edition under this banner.

    Jerry Kindall, Jul 10, 2003
  12. M. Landers

    Kiran Guest

    STOP!

    The site http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ has this buying advice about
    powerbooks:

    Don't Buy, Updates due soon.

    Kiran, Jul 10, 2003
  13. No one should ever think this. If they do, they'll never buy anything
    at all, since something better will always be "due soon".

    --
    "No urban night is like the night [in NYC]...here is our poetry, for we have
    pulled down the stars to our will."

    --> Stand Clear of the Closing Doors <--

    Keeper of the Purple Twilight, Jul 10, 2003
  14. M. Landers

    M. Landers Guest

    STOP!

    The site http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ has this buying advice about
    powerbooks:

    Don't Buy, Updates due soon.[/QUOTE]

    Actually, I would like to buy BEFORE the old ones are gone. I would
    like to have the ability to boot into OS9. A 'feature' that I'm sure
    any new 15inch PB will not have. At this point dual boot is more
    important to me than, a 167mhz system bus, AirportExtreme or backlit
    keyboard...

    The question is, if the price drops after the new ones are announced,
    will I be able to get my hands on an old 15in w/ SuperDrive and 1GB
    RAM...?

    M. Landers, Jul 10, 2003
  15. I thought this was a good idea too, so I waited until after the January 2002
    MacWorld before I bought my 867 MHz G4. No new desktops were announced at the
    show, so I thought I was safe. Two weeks later, faster, cheaper desktop boxes
    were announced at some obscure show somewhere... :-(

    Jerry Gardner, Jul 10, 2003
  16. M. Landers

    Kiran Guest

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

    They explain: The average gap between PB updates is 146 days; we are
    now at 184 days since the last update.

    Once the new line is announced, the prices on older models will drop
    further. You can then either buy improved machines or pay less for the
    current ones.

    Of course in the long run everything will be outdated (just as we'd all
    be dead), but that is no reason not to look for the best deal now (or
    to take care of our health).
    -

    Kiran, Jul 10, 2003
  17. M. Landers

    Kiran Guest

    Of course. They will be available for a while at some dealers, and for
    much longer (and at much lower prices) in the second-hand market. I
    don't understand your anxiety. Have you ever not been able to buy an
    older model you wanted? RAM you can add yourself.

    -

    Kiran, Jul 10, 2003
  18. If the Powerbook G4 was being updated at it, it would be in limited
    supply now. Orders placed through the Apple store would be put on hold
    until after the announcement, and probably quietly upgraded to newer
    models after it.

    This is how Apple has been handling it for several releases now...

    Steven Fisher, Jul 10, 2003
  19. There is soon, and there is "soon".

    The rumors suggest that new PowerBooks will be revealed at the Mac Creative
    show in a week or two.

    It's one thing to postpone indefinitely the purchase of new hardware; it's
    quite another to wait a couple of weeks. It's easy to imagine that someone
    might be annoyed, having laid out a grand and a half for a new machine,
    only to find ten days later better hardware selling for less money.

    My niece had a birthday 25 May. I promised her an eMac by 23 June. Why then?
    Because WWDC was then, and Steve was going to give the keynote. That led
    me to think, correctly, that new hardware was going to be revealed. It
    was. Not always, but often, when new hardware is introduced, it depresses
    the price and/or enhances the hardware of existing lines. Thus I got one
    of the enhanced eMacs, a 1 GHz machine with combo drive for a grand.
    A week or two earlier would have been much less machine for the same, or
    more, money.

    David Derbes []

    david raoul derbes, Jul 10, 2003
  20. M. Landers

    Eric Salathe Guest

    I havn't felt the need for any non-Apple modifications to my system. I
    use a lot of Unixy X11 scientific applications, but aside from that,
    everything is standard commercial software.

    PDF Services, which allows you to attach any document (eg Word) as a
    pdf file to e-mail from your print dialog box.
    http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/03/03/19/1243235.shtml?tid=182

    Drag your applications folder to the dock to have an excellent app
    launching interface. Same for your favorites folder.

    Learn to use column view

    Learn how to customize your finder toolbar. Drag often-used folders to
    the finder toolbar.

    Turn Dock hiding on, but only once you've learned to use the Dock
    effectively.

    Create a temporary folder for downloaded junk and use Internet
    preferences to set it once and for all. That keep your desktop clear.
    There's no need to have anything on the desktop -- this isn't Windows!

    -Eric

    Eric Salathe, Jul 10, 2003