    that their trigger systems _were_ terrible. Have they improved?

    TIA
    -Dave Pollum

    vze24h5m, Dec 14, 2006

  2. vze24h5m

    larwe Guest

    LeCroy's user interface is abhorrent (at least in the Waverunners I've
    got around here, most of which are quite high-end). I use, love and
    recomment Agilent.

    larwe, Dec 14, 2006

  3. vze24h5m

    vze24h5m Guest

    What Agilent scope series would you recommend?
    -Dave Pollum

    vze24h5m, Dec 14, 2006
  4. vze24h5m

    Data Guest

    Stay away from Tek. Their stuff breaks, and when it does, they like to
    charge you governmental amounts to fix it -- and you can't fix it
    yourself; all the parts are non-standard. It's not like it used to be.
    There's a Tek digital in my office with a bad screen. They wanted US$2k
    to fix, no labor. A friend had the hard drive on a Tek logic analyser
    go bad; they wanted US$1k. For a hard drive. Not including labor.

    I like Agilent's stuff very much, personally, and I haven't heard any
    bad reports lately, but it's a matter of taste, I suppose. I haven't
    seen triggering problems on their latest models.

    Where I work, there are a number of people who swear by LeCroy. Also
    probably a point of taste.

    Try to get a piece on loan for a few days to see whether you like it --
    if you're buying new, the salescritter should be ready to do that.

    Data, Dec 14, 2006
  5. vze24h5m

    Tilmann Reh Guest

    /We/ are very satisfied with the MSO6000 series by Agilent. Modern, very
    comfortable devices with deep memory at reasonable price.

    Tilmann

    Tilmann Reh, Dec 14, 2006
  6. vze24h5m

    Viktor Guest

    Has anyone had experience with Yokogawa scopes? They looked promising
    in the brochures.

    Viktor, Dec 14, 2006
  7. vze24h5m

    BobH Guest

    If you plug a standard PS2 mouse into your 16500C, and turn off the
    touch screen, you will probably be a lot happier with it! I have never
    been too fond of touch screens and these aren't any better. Using a
    mouse is a huge improvement.

    Good Luck,
    Bob

    BobH, Dec 14, 2006
  8. vze24h5m

    larwe Guest

    I really like the MSO8104A, but don't always get to use one. The
    standard lab scope we have kicking about all over the company is the
    54645B (obsolete of course) and a slightly newer version with a floppy
    drive, the model# of which escapes me.

    For 99% of the work I do (I work on the digital side of wireless
    sensors, transceivers, receivers, transmitters), the 54656B is fine. 16
    digital/2 analog channels, and MegaZoom. The latter feature is just the
    most useful scope feature to arrive since the discovery of artificial
    means of generating fire, as far as I'm concerned.

    larwe, Dec 15, 2006
  9. If you have the budget then the Agilent 6000 series is well worth a look. Whn I was buying a 300MHz
    scope a year or so ago, the Agilent stood way ahead of anything else in the price range - I know Tek
    have introduced a range since then though so probably worth taking a serious louk at both.

    For mixed analogue/digital use, the Agilent MSOs don't really have any competition - since having an
    MSO (the original 54645D then the MSO6034A) I've only used my logic analyser once in 12 years.

    Agilent will do evaluation loans for a couple of weeks so you can really give it a good try.
    Warning - you probably won't want to give it back afterwards...!
    The speed & responsiveness of the user-interface is way better than any Tek I've ever used.

    Mike Harrison, Dec 15, 2006
  10. I have used Yokogawa scopes and rate them as the most reliable. TEK
    are good. Had a TDS220 with a broken socket once repaired outside of
    warrantee free of charge. Had a LeCroy once, spent all its time in
    repair and when I left that company it was still in the repair shop. I
    don't think they ever got it back. Not bad for the most expensive
    scope I have ever seen.

    The Real Andy, Dec 15, 2006
  11. vze24h5m

    vze24h5m Guest

    I have a keyboard connected to my 16500C, and that is much easier to
    use than the touch screen. I haven't tried the mouse, yet. BTW, is
    there a better method for slogging through memory instead of using the
    16500C's wheel?
    -Dave Pollum

    vze24h5m, Dec 15, 2006
  12. vze24h5m

    CBFalconer Guest

    Please control your line length. They should never exceed 79
    chars, but 65 to 68 is much better because it survives several
    levels of quoting. I had to reformat this in its entirety.

    I am struck by how far HP (now Agilent) has come with respect to
    Tek in the past 10 (maybe 20) years or so. They used to be a much
    inferior choice. At the same time HP has lost all its reputation
    in the instrumentation field by the silly spin off. Was this one
    of Carlis ideas? At any rate, HP no longer means highly priced
    quality.

    CBFalconer, Dec 15, 2006
  13. vze24h5m

    BobH Guest

    The main problem with using a keyboard for me is that there is rarely
    enough flat surface in my work area to use one (grin). Using the
    keyboard to make large moves in memory by typing in delay values helps
    some, but its still painful. The other thing that helps is to limit the
    number of points captured and try to use better trigger qual to get
    closer to the event you want. Other than these two, I have not found a
    better way.

    Good Luck,
    Bob

    BobH, Dec 15, 2006
  14. vze24h5m

    vze24h5m Guest

    The main problem with using a keyboard for me is that there is rarely
    enough flat surface in my work area to use one (grin). Using the
    keyboard to make large moves in memory by typing in delay values helps

    some, but its still painful. The other thing that helps is to limit
    the
    number of points captured and try to use better trigger qual to get
    closer to the event you want. Other than these two, I have not found a

    better way.

    Good Luck,
    Bob

    Bob, I know what you mean about not having enough flat surface! I
    usually put the keyboard on my lap.
    -Dave Pollum

    vze24h5m, Dec 15, 2006