OSX Must have software list?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by slax, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. slax

    slax Guest

    Hello!

    Ordered my Mac Mini from Mac-Mall! Now comes the wait. tick, tick,
    tick :(

    Not having a Mac since my Quadra 840 AV I got as a wedding present in
    the nineties I am curious what's a must have on your list of software
    for OSX?

    So far in my research I am looking at getting the stuff below. All the
    open source stuff and proprietary software options in common
    categories. Is there something you can't live with out? Any Utils that
    I might need? I am trying to spread out over the spectrum of useful
    progs that are reasonable in price and value.

    I am totally comfortable with a Bash or C shell CLI and tweaking
    Makefiles and compiler options is OK too. High end software like Final
    Cut and Photoshop I probably won't need and can't afford.
    Any substitutions or additions to my list below?

    Commercial Software-----

    ALSOFT's Disk Warrior (Utilities) < --- Is this much better than FSCK
    or it's equivalent?

    McAfee Virex <----- Good enough?

    Open Source -------

    Camino - Firefox

    Thunderbird

    OPEN Office <--- Anyone tried this for OSX is it stable?

    PAN Newsreader

    XPDF Open PDF Viewer - Adobe Reader

    EasyTag Fillin Missing MP3 info

    The GIMP Graphics proggie

    GQView --Graphic viewer

    Midnite Commander (File Manager)

    Lime (MIDI sequencer)

    Clutter (CD Icon gimmic)

    POV Ray- (Ray Tracer)

    Tinker Tool (Extra Prefs)

    Thanks,

    Slax

    slax, Mar 13, 2005

  2. slax

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    DW is a different ultility altogether, it rebuilds the disk directory
    from scratch, fsck/Disk Utility only repair it. It's worth having.

    You might also want to check TechTool Pro, it also rebuilds the
    directory as well as many other functions too. A lot of which aren't
    done in fsck.
    Yes, although I prefer Intego Virus Barrier myself.
    Absolutely. FireFox and Thunderbird are now my default apps.
    It's OK, although there is a standalone version, NeoOffice that runs in
    Aqua - http://www.neooffice.org/
    Yes, very good.
    Not bad, although a bit slow - even on a G5 dual.
    Never use any of that myself.
    It's OK.

    Also get Macaroni and Onyx. If you do graphics then Graphic Converter is
    also pretty essential too.

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 13, 2005

  3. And notation. $65 shareware for a nicely-done effort. But to compare midi,
    notation output and price, check out Score Writer, a $49 download. Demo at
    www.geniesoft.com

    John Rethorst, Mar 13, 2005
  4. Serves a different purpose. It's certainly on my must-have list.

    For what? There's no active virus/malware threat for Mac OS X right now.
    As a result, the primary impact of AV software is to slow down your
    machine and introduce a point of instability. The most legit reason to
    run anti-viral software on the Mac _today_ is that you're subject to
    some authority that requires the machine you use to have such software.
    (Which, in fact, is my situation.)
    I would get GraphicConverter. In fact, I maintain 3 licenses to it.

    I might humbly suggest the freeware DockArt I released a few days ago as
    well. Replaces the iTunes icon in the dock with the cover art for the
    current track. Does not do online lookup/retrieval, though. It just uses
    any image already present in the file

    Gregory Weston, Mar 13, 2005
  5. for what ? you don't need them, they don't need your money.
    Firefox and thunderbird work fine
    As good as on other platforms. You can try Rag Time Solo
    (http://www.ragtime-online.com), it's free for personnal use.
    Apercu is very good. For some documents, I need XPDF or Acrobat Reader 7.
    works better with iTerm (http://iterm.sourceforge.net) than Apple's
    Terminal.app.
    Bernard.

    bernard tatin, Mar 13, 2005
  6. slax

    Howard Shubs Guest

    I can't speak to that, but it's damn good.

    It's probably good for scanning attachments coming from a Windows box,
    but there's not yet been a detected virus/worm on MacOS X.

    I like Firefox, but mainly only use it at work. I usually use Safari on
    the Mac, which comes with recent versions of MacOS X.

    I understand it's gotten better. Dunno if it's usable. I use Word.

    Haven't seen this. I use MT-Newswatcher.

    A PDF viewer comes with the OS.

    I'm not familiar with this one. I use iTunes for this, most of the
    time, and MP3 Rage for the rest. I see that MP3 Rage has been
    supplanted by something called Media Rage, but I'm not familiar with
    that.

    I'm not familiar with the rest of your list.

    Howard Shubs, Mar 14, 2005
  7. slax

    M-M Guest

    They are all good, as are Mail.app and Safari which come with the OS.
    "Preview" that comes with the OS is better than Acrobat for reading and
    searching .pdf files (it is faster) and the system can convert to .pdf
    via the print dialog.
    First get Graphic Converter.

    m-m

    M-M, Mar 14, 2005
  8. slax

    Tony Soprano Guest

    Why waste the cash? There are no OS X viruses.
    I use Firefox on XP but prefer Safari and Mail on my PowerBook.

    Tony Soprano, Mar 14, 2005
  9. this is crap -
    get Intego Virus barrier instead.

    Virex (os9) wouls scan 20g of files in 5 or 10 minutes, Virex (OSX)
    takes 6 or 7 hours for the same disk!

    no ability to schedule auto update

    Fetch, Rover, Fetch, Mar 14, 2005
  10. slax

    Paul Sture Guest

    I've had success with it when reading Word and PPT files which
    come my way, though for PPT I find Apple's Keynote excellent. The
    only time I've seen it hiccup was when it couldn't display some
    bullets correctly - easy enough to fix.

    Keynote comes as part of iWork at a very reasonable price.

    Other bought stuff which makes my life easier:

    Quicktime Pro
    Toast
    iLife (bought mainly to get an upgrade for iPhoto, but the extras are nice)

    Paul Sture, Mar 14, 2005
  11. Quickeys

    Fetch, Rover, Fetch, Mar 14, 2005
  12. OK, my list :)

    Onyx
    Graphic Converter
    Macaroni
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    NeoOffice

    VLC (videolan controller)

    Audacity: a free audio editing tool similar to Sound Studio.

    ffmpegX -- gui for ffmpeg.

    JackPilot -- incredibly cool tool to rerout audio ins and outs among
    different software apps and hardware ports.

    SoundFlower -- more of JackPilot stuff.

    Detour : quick and simple way to route all audio outputs to different
    ports.

    WireTap (or other RogueAmoeba tools) -- grab any audio stream and record
    it.

    TextWrangler: basically a souped-up BBEditLite (by the same company).
    Excellent when writing code or text documents.

    Ipod Rip and Ipod Backup. Two nice tools to get songs and/or data on
    and off your iPod.

    Pacifist: a must-have. It's the same as TomeViewer was for OS9.

    Now some system enhancers you cannot do without:

    Default Folder -- enhances Open and Save dialog boxes

    Ittec -- puts heirarchical menus in contextual menus and a lot of other
    places. Saves you an incredible amount of time otherwise wasted opening
    folder trees.

    More Internet -- assign all sorts of default actions.
    Services -- turn on various applications' ability to appear in the
    Finder/Services submenu.

    Finally: it's worth running ClamXav. Not because there are OS X
    viruses, but because it'll find Win viruses in your email or news files,
    so you can avoid passing them along by accident. Plus it's free :)

    Carl Witthoft, Mar 14, 2005
  13. slax

    slax Guest

    Thanks for the input and all the friendly advice from everyone.
    I made a list with all the great software recommendations.

    Slax

    slax, Mar 15, 2005
  14. slax

    Paul Sture Guest

    Fetch, Rover, Fetch wrote:

    Thanks for that tip, but I am torn. I love automation, but at the same
    time don't want to get so dependant on it that I forget how to do it all
    from basics.

    Dilemmas eh?

    Paul Sture, Mar 15, 2005
  15. slax

    ZnU Guest

    A good program. Much different from fsck, in that it actually examines
    the contents of the entire drive and builds a new directory structure,
    rather than simply attempting to patch up the existing directory
    structure.

    OS X is very stable though, and has a pretty reliable journaling file
    system, so the need for such a repair utility is becoming questionable.
    If you're concerned about the safety of your data, you might be better
    off putting that money toward an external FireWire drive for backups.
    Virex will catch every known OS X virus. Of course, there are no known
    OS X viruses.

    What I'm saying is, don't bother. If anyone ever actually bothers to
    release an OS X virus, you'll hear about it, and maybe you should
    consider buying something then. Although, someone will probably release
    a free utility to deal with the problem -- that's what happened the last
    time the platform had a virus going around, six or seven years ago....
    Both good, but give Safari a shot, it's also very nice.
    Apple's included mail program is quite good. I'm on a couple of
    high-volume mailing lists, and it handles those just fine. It looks like
    the version Apple will be including with Tiger will be even better.
    It's an X11 app, which is rather jarring in the OS X environment. If you
    need a full-featured word processor, MS Word is still the best option on
    the platform. But Pages, included in Apple's iWork package, is a very
    nice alternative if you don't need all the bells and whistles (I'm using
    it for most of my word processing these days), and Keynote, also
    included with iWork, is IMO, much better than PowerPoint.
    Take a look at MT-NewsWatcher: http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/
    Or just use Apple's included Preview program. It has some trouble with a
    few PDFs that Adobe Reader handles fine, but it's *much* faster,
    particularly for searching.

    Here are some other suggestions:

    P2P: http://www.acquisitionx.com/
    (Shareware)

    RSS: http://ranchero.com/netnewswire/
    (There's a free version and a shareware version)

    IM: http://fire.sourceforge.net/
    (Free)

    Thesaurus/Dictionary: http://www.nisus.com/Thesaurus/
    (Free)

    Collaborate text editing: http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/
    (Shareware)

    The best text editor anywhere: http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/
    (But seriously not cheap)

    Great for e-book reading: http://homepage.mac.com/asagoo/tofu/
    (Free)

    Weather for your menu bar: http://heat-meteo.sourceforge.net/
    (Free)

    A great GUI for Snort: http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/henwen.html
    Not really a typical desktop item, but I thought I'd toss it in anyway.
    (Free)

    [snip]

    ZnU, Mar 17, 2005