    is going for more than the audigy 4, so which is best?

    I know it's OT, but we are gamers here.

    Thanks!

    Bishop, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Bishop

    Philburg Guest

    I think the Audigy 4 was an attempt actually put 24-bit support into their
    product, since they got sued for that.
    It got good reviews but it flew in under the radar. I don't think you can
    go wrong getting it over a zs, especially at a lower price.

    Philburg, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Why not go for an x-fi ? ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Bishop

    Bishop Guest

    Im a gamer my priority is the gfx card! I was slightly tempted, but loking
    at the performance differences, not until the drop a heck of a lot!

    Bishop, Dec 13, 2005
  5. There're two Audigy 4s. Once is an el cheapo vesion similar to the Audigy 2
    ZS and the other is a high end card with an external breakout box and high
    quality DACS.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Dec 13, 2005
  6. Bishop

    John Lewis Guest

    When Creative own up to (and fix) their X-Fi enumeration, erratic game
    slow-down and other firmware bugs, requiring exchange boards :-( :-(
    And when confirmed as fully fixed, wait for all retail stock to purge,
    either by retail return to Creative, or more likely sold to
    unsuspecting customers. I notice that Circuit City was offering the
    X-Fi Extreme Music @ $89 a couple of weeks ago... I wonder why ?

    See the extensive thread on the www.soundblaster.com forum
    with the very elusive answers from the forum moderator.

    http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=26289

    Now up to 46 pages !!

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Bishop

    Conor Guest

    You're not a gamer otherwise you wouldn't care.

    Conor, Dec 14, 2005
  8. Thx man I appreciate it.

    Seems to be related to motherboard problems/bios versions.

    Hopefully the newer motherboards... especially the 32x sli motherboards will
    work ok with these soundcards :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Dec 14, 2005
  9. Bishop

    Bishop Guest

    I think that would be called an idiot...

    Bishop, Dec 14, 2005
  10. Bishop

    John Lewis Guest

    Ah.... you have swallowed the Creative spiel in the thread --- line,
    hook, bait and sinker.

    This is not the first time dear Creative has had teething problems
    with a new audio board series. Please take note of my .sig !!
    Hope, but don't dare buy until the dust has cleared. I canceled an
    on-line order for a X-Fi Extreme-music just in time because I was
    lucky enough to come across this thread about an hour after I placed
    the order. So I am using the on-board audio in a new machine which
    I built for the time being.

    John Lewis
    - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

    John Lewis, Dec 15, 2005
  11. Yes I know... creative labs soundblaster's have a long and well deserved
    reputation of being problematic.
    (
    sb16 -> dma channel problems on 80486,
    sb live -> via chipset problems on my current motherboard ?! PIII 450 mhz
    p3v4x <- sound crackles etc.
    )

    But when they work, they do give awesome sound :)

    So I think it's probably worth a try/risk ;)

    You lucky your onboard audio chip is working ! wieeeeeee.

    P.S.:

    I would go for the pro version... which has a very cool "rack" ! and a
    microphone plugin too ! ;) I would never buy anything else without the
    microphone plug ! (the extreme music and the other one don't have such a
    nice rack and thus no microphone plug ! <- OH NO ;) =D )

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Dec 15, 2005