OT: Bad Sectors on Drive

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Dylan C, Oct 26, 2007.

  1. Dylan C

    Dylan C Guest

    After having some errors on a 200GB maxtor, I decided to run a thorough
    scan on the drive...here is the resulting chkdsk output:

    C:\>chkdsk f:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

    WARNING! F parameter not specified.
    Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

    CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
    File verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    Index verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
    Security descriptor verification completed.

    199141708 KB total disk space.
    2148 KB in 6 files.
    24 KB in 12 indexes.
    9248 KB in bad sectors.
    99152 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    199031136 KB available on disk.

    4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    49785427 total allocation units on disk.
    49757784 allocation units available on disk.

    I ran it again a day or so later and it reported 12036 KB in bad sectors.
    The fact that I have ~12 Mb worth of bad sectors concerns me. Is this
    drive on its way out, or can I continue to use it, albeit with some risk to
    my data?

    Thanks,
    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Oct 26, 2007

  2. Dylan C

    Jim Guest

    Dylan,
    Get SpinRite 6 from here.....

    http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

    ...and possibly fix that drive, certainly thoroughly scan & check it better
    than CHKDSK ever could. Highly recommended HDD utility!
    --

    Jim Lilly
    Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZASS 7.0

    Jim, Oct 26, 2007

  3. Dylan C

    Folk Guest

    You shouldn't have any bad sectors so the drive is certainly failing.
    Use whatever backup method is available to you to save the data.

    With the price of drives these days I would put my money toward a new
    drive rather than a utility to attempt a repair.

    Folk, Oct 26, 2007
  4. Dylan C

    SumGuy Guest

    First, do a backup as it sounds like your drive could be on the way out.

    You should run chkdsk /r, which takes a while also.
    This will do a more thorough check of the drive, including free space.

    Maxtor probably have some disk checking utility at their website.

    SumGuy, Oct 27, 2007