OT: Best 160GB or 200GB Notebook 7200rpm Drive

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Journey, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I received the student license Vista Ultimate today, and it's the kind
    that requires phone or web activation, so to minimize hassle, I want
    to install it to a large capacity 7200rpm hard drive. The computer I
    am going to install it on currently has a 80GB 5400rpm hard drive.

    Because I have only 20GB of the 80GB hard drive free, doubling the
    capacity to 160GB will increase my free space by 400%, and will enable
    me to use my M1210 laptop as a souped-up MP3 player with plenty of
    capacity.

    I know that there have been problems with some 160GB laptop hard
    drives, and will Google for information about it and any resolutions.
    If anyone knows about these perhaps you can post a few lines about
    what you know.

    I don't know what the highest reasonable capacity 7200rpm drives are
    now but I do know that some Dell laptops have 200GB as the upper
    limit.

    I would like the best 160GB or higher 7200rpm hard drive and am open
    to suggestions. I know that Western Digital, Toshiba, and Hitachi
    make notebook hard drives but I don't know if there is any reliability
    or energy savings difference between them.

    I am going to look at newegg, buy.com, Dell, and Amazon. I'll also
    Google around to see what I can come up with.

    If anyone has any opinions and pointers, they would be much
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Journey, Aug 22, 2007

  2. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I am leaning towards the:

    HITACHI Travelstar 7K200 HTS722020K9SA00 (0A50940) 200GB 7200 RPM 16MB
    Cache Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

    http://tinyurl.com/36lwow

    A little pricey at $214.99, but the reviews are unanimous and I will
    pay a little extra to get the best hard drive within reason since it
    is such a critical component.

    Journey, Aug 22, 2007

  3. The cost difference between that size drive in 5,400 and 7,200 rpm is
    going to be HUGE. And drive sizes exist at 5,400 rpm that just do not
    exist at 7,200 rpm, period, at any price. You are in an area where you
    have to make huge trade-offs between size, speed and price. You might
    find that a 160GB drive is $100 for a 5,400 rpm drive but $300 for a
    7,200 rpm drive, or something like that.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 22, 2007
  4. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Huge relatively speaking but in absolute terms a weekly grocery bill.
    The Hitachi 200GB 7200rpm that I referenced in another post looks
    pretty good for the money.

    Journey, Aug 22, 2007
  5. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I did end up buying this one -- newegg beat the other companies by a
    substantial amount. Most were selling it for around $250 plus or
    minus.

    The 3-day shipping also was around $6. It will be a great upgrade
    from the 80GB 5400 to the Hitachi 200GB 7200 which has had only good
    reviews.

    I will follow up to this thread with my impressions after I install
    and use it for a while.

    Journey, Aug 22, 2007
  6. Journey

    Tony Harding Guest

    I see you've ordered the 200GB Hitachi HDD (which the reviews say is
    great), another approach would be to buy a 2nd HDD adapter for the bay
    and keep your MP3's, etc., on it (separate from the boot drive). I did
    this on my ThinkPad R40 and it worked very well.

    Tony Harding, Aug 22, 2007
  7. Journey

    Paul Guest

    I take those reviews with a grain of salt. They're just barely 30 days old.
    Just about any HDD is going to perform well in the first month. After being
    cooked inside the laptop for 3 to 6 months to a year and time will tell. As
    I've posted in a previous thread here, I've had terrible luck with the
    perpendicular recording 160GB laptop drives across a variety of
    manufacturers... Right now I've settled on a WDC 160GB with fingers
    crossed. To be fair, I haven't given a Hitachi a chance recently since I've
    encountered failures with their smaller models some years ago. And wasn't
    the infamous "deathstar" IBM drive made by Hitachi ?

    -- Paul

    Paul, Aug 23, 2007
  8. Journey

    S.Lewis Guest

    My personal experience (4+ failures) tends to make me avoid Hitachi mobile
    drives, fwiw.....

    And yes, those used to be IBMs.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 23, 2007
  9. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Oh well, live and learn -- I should have waited a day or so for both
    of your input. You're right Paul, short-term reviews of new drives
    really don't mean much (duh). I could Google all I wanted about 160GB
    or 200GB drives and it wouldn't mean much.

    I have good backup procedures for my important data, except for
    e-mail. Because I use Outlook for e-mail, maybe I just need to back
    up the .pst file periodically.

    Otherwise much of the capacity will be used for duplicates of .mp3 and
    other media files.

    Journey, Aug 23, 2007
  10. Journey

    Tony Harding Guest

    IIRC it was manufactured by IBM before they sold their HDD business to
    Hitachi. The Deathstars were several years ago at this point, things
    change, e.g., Fords no longer explode like the Pintos did. ;)

    I'm using several Hitachi models at present, including the 120GB version
    of the 7K200 model in my new ThinkPad and am satisfied with them.

    Historical note, the HDD division was the 2nd one IBM sold off (along
    with their printer division) even though they were always a class act &
    market leader.

    Tony Harding, Aug 27, 2007