    about it or another program?
    thanks,
    Monica

    Monica, Jul 27, 2005

  2. If you have lots of CDRs so you can waste a CDR as they are pretty cheap
    and a CD Burner. The easiest way is to burn the mp3s to a CD as an
    Audio CD and than rip it to mp3 using a program like CDex which is free,

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 27, 2005

  3. just to add, technically what you want to do is illegal as breaking copy
    protection on songs is breaking the law

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 27, 2005
  4. Monica

    S.Lewis Guest

    Not if I understand her correctly.

    For example, at one time Wal Mart downloads came down as .wma files. You
    had license to download the same title as many as (3) times (hard drive
    crashes, etc.), and you could burn them to CD up to (10) times if I recall
    correctly.

    So the .wma to .mp3 problem can exist with legally purchased and downloaded
    music.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 27, 2005
  5. not true. Burning to CD is fine and downloading from Walmart is fine.
    Walmart, Itunes and other legal download sites. The songs are protected
    and programs that convert wma to mp3 sometimes does not convert copy
    protected songs. I tried a few when I bought songs from puretracks and
    napster.

    Ripping the CD to remove the copyright protection is not legal, it is
    the same as ripping DVDs

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 27, 2005
  6. Monica

    Notan Guest

    Have a look at http://www.hymn-project.org.

    Notan

    Notan, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Wait a minute. This is MY copy of a song I legally purchased. I want to
    make a CD, that includes the two songs in question, that will play in my
    car.
    And, altho I don't intend to burn it to a CD 10 times, how the heck does
    anyone know how many times I burn the song, especially if I'm not connected
    to the Internet or have a firewall that prevents transmission.
    Monica

    Monica, Jul 27, 2005
  8. Note that you will lose quality in doing this (encoding anything to
    MP3), and WMA -- at least the version sold by most online music stores
    -- is already a lossy format. Also don't bother re-encoding to a higher
    bitrate as it's impossible to regain anything that's been lossed and you
    will only end up with a worse copy. If the track was an AAC (like those
    bought from iTunes), there's a way to strip the DRM without reencoding
    it (again, google up hymn) or even download an unencrypted version in
    the first place (pyMusique -- now only works in Linux).

    Nicholas Andrade, Jul 28, 2005
  9. yep

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 28, 2005
  10. the burning count is encoded in the wma or whatever file you downloaded
    and it is part of the copyright protection. Burning the song to a CD
    and ripping the song to an mp3, breaks that copyright protection.
    Breaking the copyright protection is illegal. Will the record companies
    come after you for doing this. Of course not.

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 28, 2005
  11. Monica

    Monica Guest

    I downloaded JHymn and attempted to convert two protected .wma songs. In my
    original message (below) I mentioned the need to convert wma songs. Are you
    sure JHymn works on wma formatted songs? I checked the box "convert all
    file types to mp3" but it didn't work. The link below shows the results.
    Am I doing something wrong or will this program not work on the format I'm
    needing to convert?
    Monica
    http://www.pbase.com/image/46880372/original

    Monica, Jul 29, 2005
  12. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Never mind. JHymn does not convert wma files.

    Monica, Jul 29, 2005
  13. Monica

    Notan Guest

    Sorry... I remember JHymn converting protected files, but,
    as it turns it, it was AAC files. It's been a while! <g>

    Try Googling "convert protected wma mp3."

    Tons of hits, too many to sort through.

    Good Luck!

    Notan

    Notan, Jul 29, 2005
  14. Monica

    Math1 Guest

    http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2128528/jetaudio-basic
    You have to have rights to the songs before you can convert.

    Math1, Jul 29, 2005
  15. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Thank you! I came across this program in my Googling last night but, if
    this is the one I'm thinking of, the new version wouldn't convert the
    protected song. The newer version was the only one I found. This version
    has found a new home on my computer...it works GREAT :)
    Monica

    Monica, Jul 30, 2005