    RnR Guest

    Guys/gals, don't forget to set your pc's / laptops for daylight
    savings time if they don't update themselves now.

    RnR, Mar 11, 2007

  2. RnR

    BigJim Guest

    the update I got from MS worked fine, that was for xp.

    BigJim, Mar 11, 2007

  3. RnR

    Ork . Guest

    CNET Download.com: Is DST the new Y2K?

    So how should you prepare? If you're running Windows Vista, you're
    already set. If you're running Windows XP SP2, you likely received the
    necessary Windows update last month. To be sure, go to the Add or Remove
    Programs panel, check "Show updates," and look for "Update for Windows
    XP (KB931836)." If you don't have it, download it....

    http://community.webtv.net/Geo_H/ScenicCalif

    Ork ., Mar 11, 2007
  4. RnR

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Win95, just set the timezone one further east, and add an hour to the time of day.
    (That preserves the same internal 32-bit time, the time it ``actually'' is.)

    Ron Hardin, Mar 11, 2007
  5. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    I didn't do anything on any machine other than keep them up-to-date and they
    all changed just fine.

    My Cingular cellphone, on the other hand, didn't.

    Tom Scales, Mar 11, 2007
  6. RnR

    RnR Guest

    I surmise the updates included the patch. No problem but I just
    wanted to remind those who didn't patch or update to be aware.

    How's the move going... a lot of boxes? I moved a fair amount too and
    hate the actual moving. Hope your move goes smoothly.

    RnR, Mar 11, 2007
  7. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    More trash then boxes. I'm brutal when I move. We're only moving a mile.
    Not even leaving the neighborhood.

    Tom Scales, Mar 11, 2007
  8. RnR

    Notan Guest

    If I have anything to say about it (and, in reality, I might not), we're never
    moving, again.

    But if we do, we're selling the house with everything in it... Food, clothing,
    *everything*!

    Packing and unpacking is surely what Hell is like!!!

    Notan, Mar 11, 2007
  9. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    The beauty of our move is anything small enough will just get thrown into
    boxes and stuffed in the station wagon. Many trips, but not bad. The
    movers are just moving big things like TVs, Freezers and Living room
    furniture.

    I looked at it this way. Stay where I am -- two teenage girls sharing a
    bathroom or suffer through a one-time move and both get their own bathroom.
    And a pool.

    No brainer.

    Tom Scales, Mar 11, 2007
  10. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Oh, and it is our 18th move in 20 years, so we're pretty used to it

    Tom Scales, Mar 11, 2007
  11. Hi!
    is.)

    Has anyone remembered the Windows 95 Kernel Toys set? It contains a Win9x
    version of the NT Timezone Editor program. This works just fine on Win9x,
    Me, NT and 2000...I've tried it with all of them.

    I have used it on nearly all my computers that don't run XP and all have
    made the transition to the new rules just fine. If you use this tool, it
    pays to read the help file. You need to pick your timezone from the list in
    the time and date settings window after making changes so that Windows will
    notice the new rules.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95KernelToy/Default.asp

    It's probably one of the few instances where Microsoft has ever had that
    kind of foresight. :)

    William

    William R. Walsh, Mar 11, 2007
  12. XP and Vista both got patched through Windows Updates, older MS OS' are
    not as fortunate (although there's unofficial patches:
    http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/01/unofficial-windows-2000-daylight.html
    ). One thing to keep in mind is if you run Sun's JRE/JDK, you need to
    either upgrade it or apply the TZUpdater patch (I doubt MS' fix works on
    Sun's Java). This is probably not much of an issue for home users but
    if you use J2EE at work then it's crucial. Also there's a bug with
    certain time zones even after the patch, so read up the TZUpdater patch
    before you apply it.

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 11, 2007
  13. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    "Papa was a rollin' stone..." ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 11, 2007
  14. RnR

    Journey Guest

    But Tom, it is going to take at least 3 big moving trucks just for
    your TVs :)

    <in jest, of course>

    Journey, Mar 11, 2007
  15. RnR

    Journey Guest

    Also, after a big loss, a new fresh start can help. My mother passed
    away in Dec. so I know some of what that is like. When my lease is up
    in August I am thinking of moving. I would consider a condo but I
    want to watch the market and see if there's a bubble here first.

    Journey, Mar 11, 2007
  16. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's not really the reason we're moving, but it has been a pretty lousy
    year. Between my wife dying in September and my Mom two weeks ago.

    Tom Scales, Mar 11, 2007
  17. RnR

    RnR Guest

    That's a lot of moving Tom. You must be a pro at it by now tho I'm
    sure you still hate it. I know I do. I learned that when I move I
    estimate how many boxes I need and then multiply my number by 2 and
    that seems to be the correct number of boxes.

    RnR, Mar 12, 2007
  18. Yes, a big non event.

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 12, 2007
  19. RnR

    MZB Guest

    If you paid your rent instead of buying so many computers, you wouldn't have
    to move so often

    <g>

    Mel

    MZB, Mar 13, 2007
  20. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yeah, and it is a real pain moving at night with only moonlight.

    Tom Scales, Mar 13, 2007