OT = Dell Poweredge 2600 Server - $5.99

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Larry, Jul 8, 2009.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    I'm a thrift shop addict. My house if full of it.

    Sunday, I was perusing one of my favorite Community Thrift shops'
    computer department and there was this big box with DELL on it. It was
    locked, but the key was attached to the back of it, so I figured, at
    least, I could get into it when I got it home. It was only $5.99, so
    what the hell.

    I'm now the proud owner of a Dell Poweredge 2600 Server running Windows
    2003 Server with DUAL Xeon 3.0Ghz processors, 6GB RAM, Six 36GB 15000
    RPM hot swap disk drives, two 60A power supplies that can crank a train
    and have no idea what I'm gonna use it for...(c;] $5.99

    Sitting on top of it, was the Quantum Snap Server high speed Ethernet
    network storage with four (mirrored I'm sure) high speed drives that
    plugs neatly into a special ethernet port, I believe, in the back of the
    Poweredge. I paid $1.99 to the thrift shop for it.

    Dual Core desktop? You want me to slow it down?!

    I think I finally own a computer that won't balk the movie when email
    checks its server....(c;]

    What a beautiful machine. AND IT WORKS!

    Now I have to choose whether to sell it for fun and profit or load
    Ubuntu or Win7 onto it and use it for a super desktop beast. Starting
    current from TWO AC circuits is 24A and running current specs at 6A, but
    I don't know what load 6A represents loaded up with all this RAM, two
    processors and SIX hard drives. How much load is that video card?
    BRING IT ON!

    Sure sounds neat all those drives and fans making the Boeing 777 whines
    as we're on our takeoff roll down the big runway....(c;] Winding SIX
    hard drives up to 15,000 RPM has a sound all its own! Subtle it's NOT!

    I once was given an IBM System 32 console, high speed chain printer, all
    the manuals, OS and software for a small manufacturing operation. It
    came with 4 dumb terminals, massive fixed drives in the main console.
    It was simply taken out of service and replaced in running condition.
    We did print a box of paper in fairly record time but I never had the 3-
    phase 408VAC at some god-awful current to fire off the whole system.
    Noone wanted it so we used a big ramp to put it into a big dumpster when
    noone was looking a couple years later after stripping some great
    capacitors and souvenir parts out of it. One of its disk platters is
    the clock in my office, now.

    This server seems to be more useful....

    Larry, Jul 8, 2009

  2. Hah! That is great. I honestly can't imagine finding such a nice server
    in a thrift shop and getting it for so cheap. The thrift shop owners
    around here are rather savvy with tech, and will utilize ebay and
    craigslist to sell off many things for higher prices than normally would
    be possible inside the shop. I would say load up Windows 7 Release
    Candidate ( get it off TechNet for free here: http://tinyurl.com/832nco
    ) and give it a whirl. That thing should be quite nice and very
    responsive. The only downfall I think it would have is poor video
    support ( so no Aero or video accelleration ). Super speedy drives,
    networking, and two nice fast processors will make for a hefty
    workstation style machine.

    DataCabbitKSW, Jul 9, 2009

  3. Larry

    Adrian C Guest

    That server was dumped in the shop by the local utility company for
    electric. They've figured anybody daft enough to plug it 24/7 in would
    soon be paying them back handsomely.

    -or-

    CIA operatives are watching. Psst, Larry!!, swept it yet for bugs?

    :)

    Adrian C, Jul 10, 2009
  4. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Sure runs Ubuntu Linux like a scared rabbit....(c;]

    FINALLY I own a machine that doesn't balk the movie when checking the email
    servers....

    Larry, Jul 10, 2009
  5. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Wiped it CLEAN to install Ubuntu. No secrets on mine.....

    Larry, Jul 10, 2009
  6. Larry

    BillW50 Guest

    In Larry typed on Fri, 10 Jul 2009 00:29:45 +0000:
    I always had this ability as far back as I can remember. For example,
    one machine is playing a video, one is accessing email servers, one is
    converting video from one format to another, and one is doing backups.
    And none of them effect the performance of the other. And this is even
    possible from cheap netbooks using 10 watts each. <grin>

    BillW50, Jul 10, 2009