(OT) Dell system purchases off of ebay.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by S.Lewis, May 19, 2006.

  1. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    All,

    I've purchased fully 2-3 dozen used Dell systems off of ebay both for myself
    and others and using moderate to extreme caution when doing so have had
    nothing but good experiences. Great, in fact.

    However -

    My last transaction for a notebook over there has turned ugly (though I'm
    covered by PayPal) because I did not follow through on one additional step
    which I'll now advise to all - if perhaps you don't already go to this
    length:

    Before you bid - especially on notebooks - request the tag from the seller
    (I always do). Use the tag to verify any remaining Dell warranty for
    starters. Then go the one step BEYOND that (which I did NOT do) and call
    Dell tech support to verify that the system service tag is clean (meaning
    not stolen or in dispute with Dell in any manner).

    If I'd done that, I wouldn't be in a full-blown dispute right now (a dispute
    which doesn't include Dell, btw, as they were really helpful).

    Get the tag. No tag no bid. Check the tag at www.support.dell.com for
    warranty if applicable. Call Dell with the tag and verify that it is not
    flagged in any way. If the tag is clear, then you're on record and almost
    certainly good to go.

    Learn from my mistake. I still plan to use both Ebay and PayPal with this
    final step included.

    That is all.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 19, 2006

  2. Thanks for the hint, sounds like a very good idea. When it works
    properly are you able to get the warranty transferred?

    So it turned out to be stolen?

    William P.N. Smith, May 19, 2006

  3. S.Lewis

    DotCom Guest

    THANK YOU!!!
    dot

    DotCom, May 19, 2006
  4. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Absolutely the tag transfers. I actually transfer them myself off of the
    website. I've also called (gold) tech support before the transfer had
    completed for service or parts, explained exactly how I acquired the system
    and that I had put the transfer in online - and never had a hitch. (Course,
    my customer number shows numerous systems, which doesn't hurt I guess.)

    Yes and no. The system actually belongs to Dell. It was a system exchange
    that the owner "sold" rather than returned once his/her replacement system
    arrived. So, yes it was sold rather than returned and therefore is stolen
    with Dell as the real owner.

    I'd hate to be that guy about right now.(g)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 19, 2006
  5. Hmm, doesn't Dell just end up billing him for the 'value' of the
    system if he doesn't return it within some amount of time?

    Of course, this begs the question of what was wrong with it...

    Either way, thanks for pointing out another potential pitfall.

    William P.N. Smith, May 19, 2006
  6. S.Lewis

    journey Guest

    Thanks for the info. Every time I have used Ebay, someone has tried
    to scam me. If I bid on something, inevitably I get an e-mail from
    another person who wants to sell it to me for less, often from Eastern
    Europe using Western Union.

    The last time I sold a laptop someone who just signed up for Ebay that
    day from India bid on my "buy it now" price, and wanted it shipped
    right away for "some special project".

    I also get a lot of phishing e-mails. The people who do such things
    are scum. The penalties for such things should be severe.

    Journey

    journey, May 19, 2006
  7. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    One might think. Due to privacy laws no information of the original owner(s)
    can be shared.

    At this point, all I can do is put it back upon the (ebay) seller via PayPal
    dispute/claims. Luckily I've documented everything.

    It needs a flex cable. I also suspect at some point the LCD has been
    replaced, although the system cosmetically is an 8 of 10.

    Had gold tech support, onsite HW, and complete care accidental coverage
    until 7/2008.

    Darn it. (g)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 20, 2006
  8. Oh, I get it, he sells it to you, and you use the warranty to get it
    fixed, and he gets the difference between what Dell billed him for
    since he didn't return it and what you paid him for it, and Dell is
    out two repairs for one.

    Oops! 8*)

    William P.N. Smith, May 20, 2006
  9. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    No, you don't get it.

    The machine is supposed to be in good shape with 2 years of factory warranty
    left. It arrives with intermittent artifacts in the display. I know,
    because I've checked, that it has Dell warranty. I've transferred the tag to
    my name. I call. Machine is on "hold". No warranty service.

    Seller (who in theory has a new exchange system and my money) is over a
    barrel. PayPal account is on hold until money is refunded. Further, if said
    system I possess is reported as fraud through ebay and/or paypal, seller
    might be looking at some serious legal issues ( fraud across state lines and
    perhaps wire fraud if internet qualifies for that).

    So right now seller has:

    -Dell on his arse
    -Me on his arse
    -PayPal on his arse

    and could have ebay and law enforcement likewise.

    Meantime, I'm stuck with a machine with no warranty- exactly the type of
    laptop I'd never buy from ebay. Awaiting dispute resolution from paypal.

    BTW, every notebook I've won from Dell Financial Services on ebay has been
    problem free. They list all service tags, but their prices/auctions
    generally run higher than comparable listings from other sellers/individual.

    Paypal guarantees my full refund (less only shipping). I'm good. Seller is
    in a pickle.

    Glad I don't believe in wiring money. (g)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 20, 2006
  10. S.Lewis

    Clint Guest

    Journey, sorry to hear about your problems, but I've had opposite
    experiences. Out of 30 or so transactions, I haven't had a single issue
    with fraudulent or scamming transactions (knock on wood). There are options
    in the auction setup to disallow certain types of eBay users; don't know if
    that's helped. And most of the items I've sold have been smaller value
    items (under $100 each).

    As far as phishing e-mails, I don't know how many dozens of them I get a
    week, but they've all been easy to pick out. In general, I just never click
    on a link unless I check out where it's going. I do feel bad for "less
    technically savvy" individuals though. Some of the phishers are quite good,
    using company images right from their own websites and all...

    Clint

    Clint, May 22, 2006
  11. S.Lewis

    journey Guest

    Almost all the phishing e-mails that I get have some awkward phrasing.

    Like you, I feel bad for the less technically savvy. That's where my
    anger comes from.

    I wonder why I seldom hear any news about a phisher being caught and
    prosecuted. The damage they could cause to retired people for example
    who give out their bank logins could really be severe (although the
    bank probably takes the loss?).

    Journey

    journey, May 22, 2006
  12. S.Lewis

    Tom Scales Guest

    I have over 500 positive feedback on ebay, much from buying and selling
    high-end photographic equipment. Only one time did someone try to scam me.

    Ebay is quite safe if you are careful.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 22, 2006
  13. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    I agree. I was just attempting information for those with no/or lesser
    transactions.

    What was nice was that with my paypal receipt, Dell was/is willing to
    un-flag the system so that I might own it cleanly. The bad part is that the
    remaining Dell warranty (over 2 years gold/complete care) was transferred to
    the (new) exchanged unit so this one now has none.

    Dell did offer to sell the equivalent warranty to me, but that would likely
    cost another $200-$300 dollars defeating the purpose of winning the auction
    at a good to very good price for the model with warranty.

    As I said, I'll modify verification in the future. DFS systems and auctions
    I've won have been problem-free, so I don't feel the need to check behind
    them.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 22, 2006
  14. S.Lewis

    Jay B Guest

    Stew,
    i would think that when dell goes after the seller to collect the full
    value of the non-returned computer,
    then your warranty should be good.
    they shouldnt void your warranty, that doesnt sound right.
    i would complain about that.
    Jay

    Jay B, May 22, 2006
  15. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Jay -

    It's not really been "voided" per se. It was transferred to the replacement
    system. Sort of a "one in one out" zero sum gain thing.

    If Dell hadn't wanted to be crappy about it, they could've demanded return
    of the system. After all, it was their machine before "releasing" it to me
    once I proved that I had purchased it.

    I could make an issue of it, but the problem lies with the original owner,
    who may or may not be the ebay seller (privacy laws). That is where I'm
    pointing for the resolution; to one of the people who actually created the
    problem.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 22, 2006
  16. S.Lewis

    journey Guest

    I've bought and sold a lot on ebay too. I don't know why I have had
    the scams. I received them when I was bidding on or selling laptops.
    I think I have had 4 scam attempts, and numerous phishing attempts
    from both ebay and Pay Pal that they confirmed were phishing attempts.

    One reason I may have received the scams is because I put my e-mail
    address in my ebay communications. I have no idea if that is
    violating ebay policy. Once I was answering a lot of questions from
    potential buyers and ebay came back and said that I had reached my
    maximum number of emails that day and I could upgrade to some other
    account status...

    I agree that it is quite safe to buy / sell if one is careful and if
    one knows the schemes (ebay has info. about a lot of them).

    I have sold more than I have bought. I usually talk to the person on
    the phone -- for me it makes me feel more secure. I keep the buyer
    informed every step along the way. I have received top knotch reviews
    as a result.

    I am going to be selling a few PDA's and one digital camera soon, but
    I am going to try Craig's List first because it hopefully could put me
    in touch with local buyers.

    Journey

    journey, May 22, 2006
  17. S.Lewis

    journey Guest

    Correction: I have bidded on items but never won the bid. Usually
    the price gets to a point at which I would rather buy a new or
    alternate item. How do you get good prices?

    Also, "a lot" for me is nowhere near the 500 that Tom talks about.
    Wow. Despite my fascination with electronic gadgets, I don't think I
    have ever even owned 500 items worthy of sale!

    Both laptops that I sold went for prices much higher than the buyer
    should have paid. Also, my Canon Powershot S2 IS went for $369 right
    about the time that the S3 IS was due to come out, and then I saw the
    one I sold used selling for new at about $20 less.

    So, I think one way to use ebay, which I have had success at, is to
    know your product lifecycles and then sell at the right time. It
    often can amount to an "inexpensive upgrade" for a new product, or a
    good way to ditch a product that I don't like but has rave reviews by
    others.

    Journey

    journey, May 22, 2006
  18. S.Lewis

    Tom Scales Guest

    When I purchased my Dimension 4550, it was replacing an aging, RDram based
    Dimension 8100. I parted out the machine, selling the extra RDRam, an extra
    hard drive, the Windows XP upgrade (retail) and then the machine.

    Sold everything for about $50 more total than I paid for the new 4550.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 23, 2006
  19. Why? If someone presents the proper credentials, either online or in
    person, why would the bank be expected to eat the loss? Not saying it
    wouldn't be a great PR move, depending on how much the customer lost.

    I'm very suspicious of emails asking me to click an embedded link to
    "fix" my account. First, I use Ctrl-U to show the email's source and
    send it to the business's abuse dept asking if it's legit. Then I log on
    to the business's site via my link or one I type in and see what's what.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jun 13, 2006
  20. S.Lewis

    journey Guest

    You're right. The bank might not take the loss. Does anyone know?

    If it's a credit card then I think the credit card company takes the
    loss. In fact, I think I know (lol) that it does because I used to
    work for a major financial company and in one of the employee
    presentations it was mentioned.

    If it's not a credit card though, that might be another story. I
    _really_ feel for anyone who would experience major losses as the
    result of phishing scum.

    I think someone phishing should receive a sentence equivalent to
    breaking and entering (IMO). Basically that's what they are doing,
    virtually.

    journey, Jun 13, 2006