OT: DHCP assigned ip address but not 192.168.xxx.xxx

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RnR, Feb 27, 2008.

  1. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Being new to DSL my router has changed things a bit from when it was
    on a cable modem. I see it no longer ip addresses of 192.168.xxx.xxx
    but instead the DHCP is assigning an ip address of 66.170.xxx.xxx
    instead. My only question is since I'm still using the wireless
    router (dell truemobile 2300 model), am I still behind the router (for
    protection) ?

    Of course I'm still using my software firewall (ZoneAlarm) so I'm not
    overly worried but I'm still trying to think this new setup thru so I
    understand it better. Right now I don't have access to my router
    admin settings so I don't know if it changed to a pppoe or static but
    the DSL tech support told me I shouldn't have to worry about that and
    that the DHCP should only be needed to assign an ip address. He said
    the fact that my modem and router are now working together and getting
    on the net, means the setup is okay (even tho I don't know what the
    current router settings are). Perhaps I can get into them by
    hardwire tho I tried earlier this morning and the ethernet connection
    wouldn't connect so I have some investigating to do why. For now,
    whatever is going on, the net and home network is working. I know
    what my deceased dad would say.... if it ain't broke, don't fix it....
    probably good advice even in technology.

    Rant: Seems like I always have more questions than answers :( .

    RnR, Feb 27, 2008

  2. RnR

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    If you were still behind your router, there wouldn't have been a
    change in the IP addresses of things "behind" the router.

    I would check your connections to make sure the DSL "modem" is plugged
    into the router's WAN port. It might not be a bad idea to reset the
    router to factory defaults if everything looks to be wired up
    correctly.

    Some DSL providers send out devices that are more than modems. I've
    seen several Westell-branded routers from Verizon. Is yours a router
    and not just a "modem" by any chance?
    Some DSL connections do not require you to set up PPPoE.

    If you don't have access to your router, your computer isn't "behind"
    it or something is not connected/working properly. I'm not sure why
    the tech told you it was--such is clearly not the case.

    You should fix this--if all your computers are suddenly on the public
    Internet, that could mean a serious reduction in security depending
    upon how they are firewalled. It may also mean that any resource
    sharing you do between computers won't work or will be subject to
    security compromise.

    William

    wm_walsh, Feb 27, 2008