    RnR Guest

    Just wondering what some here who tried windows 8 preview or whatever
    thought of it ? Reports I read so far seem mixed.

    RnR, Oct 20, 2012

  2. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ugh!

    Ben Myers, Oct 23, 2012

  3. RnR

    Bruce Varney Guest

    Oh, you mean Windows ME Mark 2.

    Bruce Varney, Oct 23, 2012
  4. RnR

    revotan

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2012
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    False. Windows ME had a usable interface! xD

    revotan, Oct 23, 2012
  5. RnR

    Larry Guest

    It would have been more palatable if MS had provided the option to
    revert to the old familiar look if someone wanted that. Surely that
    could not have taken much more effort.

    Also wondering if they kept the idea of a registry?

    Larry, Oct 24, 2012
  6. "Larry" commented:
    Google "Windows 8 classic desktop". It's one of the apps, and there
    seems to be a cottage industry popping up to service the demand for
    User Interface.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Oct 25, 2012
  7. RnR

    Larry Guest

    Thanks for that info!

    Larry, Oct 25, 2012
  8. RnR

    Larry Guest

    Larry, Oct 26, 2012
  9. RnR

    Brian K Guest

    I like Win8 and the Metro interface. It's faster than Win7 on my computer.

    Brian K, Oct 26, 2012
  10. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Did you have to reinstall your programs?

    RnR, Oct 27, 2012
  11. RnR

    Brian K Guest

    Did you have to reinstall your programs?

    I did clean installs with the beta Win8s. I'll buy Win8 next month when I
    build a new computer. It will be a clean install and I'll have to install
    apps from scratch. I never do upgrade installs.

    Brian K, Oct 27, 2012
  12. RnR

    Larry Guest

    Larry, Oct 27, 2012
  13. RnR

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I'm sticking with XP, where my apps work.

    Chiefly a 2005 version of Cygwin.

    Ron Hardin, Oct 29, 2012
  14. RnR

    Brian K Guest

    Ron,

    I'm still on WinXP too. I'm going to build a new computer next month and
    that's my main reason for changing the OS. Win8 is faster than WinXP, but I
    wouldn't change unless I had a new computer and had to install all apps from
    scratch.

    Brian K, Oct 30, 2012
  15. RnR

    Von Fourche Guest

    I just got a new Dell PC and it has Windows 7. Ugh, I hate it. I much
    much MUCH prefer Windows XP! And what's the deal
    with no outlook express? Windows 7 sucks so far. But I've only been using
    it for 3 days.

    Von Fourche, Nov 1, 2012
  16. RnR

    Brian K Guest

    Ron,

    Out of interest, in Win7 does Cygwin run in WinXP Compatibility mode? Or in
    the WinXP virtual machine run by Win7?

    Brian K, Nov 1, 2012

  17. Outlook Express has been replaced (approximately) with Windows Live Mail.
    You can download it here:
    http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Live-Mail/3000-2367_4-98282.html
    I have an early version which came installed on my Windows 7 Dell desktop
    in the Fall of 2010. I've heard that later versions are less like Outlook Express,
    unfortunately. If you don't like the latest Windows Live Mail, I've heard Mozilla's
    Thunderbird is good enough to it give a try.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Nov 2, 2012
  18. RnR

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I haven't gotten my Sigwin to run on win7 but didn't experiment much, just
    went to XP. The rearrangement of files under win7 is enough to kill my apps
    anyway. Who wants to rewrite a thousand shell scripts when it works fine.

    Ron Hardin, Nov 2, 2012
  19. RnR

    Ron Hardin Guest

    interesting typo for Cygwin. The fingers do the thinking, somehow.

    Ron Hardin, Nov 2, 2012
  20. RnR

    Justin Guest

    It sucks.