[OT] Gates sees next Windows "sometime" in next year

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tony Harding, Apr 4, 2008.

  1. Tony Harding

    Tony Harding Guest

    Boy, a huge disincentive for anyone, especially businesses, to upgrade
    to Vista.

    Gates sees next Windows "sometime" in next year
    Fri Apr 4, 2008 12:39pm EDT

    MIAMI (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp.(MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research)
    co-founder Bill Gates said on Friday he expected the new version of
    Windows operating software, code-named Windows 7, to be released
    "sometime in the next year or so."

    The software giant has been aiming to issue more regular updates of the
    operating system software that powers the majority of the world's
    personal computers. Nevertheless, Gates' comments suggested that a
    successor to the Vista program might be released sooner than was
    generally expected.

    Microsoft has said it expected to release a new version of Windows
    approximately 3 years after the introduction of Vista in January 2007. A
    company spokeswoman said Gates' comments are in line with a development
    cycle that usually releases a test version of the software before its
    official introduction.

    "I'm superenthused about what it will do in lots of ways," Gates said in
    a seminar on corporate philanthropy held during an annual meeting in
    Miami of the Inter-American Development Bank.

    "That'll be sometime in the next year or so that we'll have a new
    version," Gates said in response to a question from the audience.

    Gates, who is due to leave his day-to-day functions at Microsoft and
    dedicate himself to the philanthropic efforts of the Gates Foundation in
    June, said the company aimed through its $6 billion annual research and
    development budget to take the products running on its software to "the
    next level."

    He said new versions of Windows would help revolutionize mobile phones
    and run the desk of the future, which would have a touch surface display
    allowing users to call up items using their hands.

    (Reporting by Michael Christie, Editing by Gunna Dickson)

    © Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of
    Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is
    expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
    Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and
    trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
    Reuters journalists are subject to the Reuters Editorial Handbook which
    requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN0430179020080404?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews

    Tony Harding, Apr 4, 2008

  2. Tony Harding

    Ben Myers Guest

    This sort of announcement sure could put the brakes on sales of new computers,
    since it goes hand in hand with Microsoft's announcement to end OEM sales of XP
    at the end of June, 2008. Of course, the economy is down and maybe this is a
    good time to cut back on the sale of computers to people who don't have much
    disposable income any more.

    The other reaction I have every time I read a Gates or Ballmer pronouncement
    about an operating system is a cynical "same old, same old." I'll believe the
    ship date when the product is sitting on the shelves at 11:59pm the day prior to
    the official date of availability, and all the big box mass market stores open
    their doors at midnight to let the hordes lined up outside to come in and buy.

    To put it more succinctly, Microsoft pronouncements as to availability of new
    versions of Windows have zero credibility, even with a ballpark "next year or
    so." ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 4, 2008

  3. Tony Harding

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    This sounds suspiciously like my thinking.
    Another Windows 95?

    I wonder if Microsoft could pull that off again. Say what you will
    about the actual product, the buzz was phenomenal...it really had
    people excited, or at least that is what I perceived at the time.

    (No, I wasn't there when it first "dropped". I waited...and well
    remember feeding my Compaq Contura 4/25 all thirteen setup diskettes.)

    William

    wm_walsh, Apr 4, 2008
  4. Tony Harding

    Bob Levine Guest

    Bob Levine, Apr 4, 2008
  5. Tony Harding

    Steve W. Guest

    You can have that now.
    Just buy a touch screen monitor for your current machine. I just
    bought a conversion kit to make a 19" monitor into a touch screen. Plan
    on using it to make a unit for the shop. Should make it easier when I
    want to pull up manuals and test data on vehicles. No hunting for a flat
    space for the keyboard and mouse.

    --
    Steve W.
    Near Cooperstown, New York

    Life is not like a box of chocolates
    it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
    what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!

    Steve W., Apr 5, 2008
  6. Tony Harding

    MZB Guest

    I suspect so.
    Even if the actual release is 6-18 months later than announced, why would I
    get Vista???

    Mel, who is pleased enough with XP Home

    MZB, Apr 5, 2008
  7. Tony Harding

    Tony Harding Guest

    Good point. I think it's damage control at this point. Looks as though
    MS is still selling vaporware, a term I can't remember seeing lately.

    Tony Harding, Apr 6, 2008
  8. Tony Harding

    TBerk Guest

    Well, Yes & No.

    Breaking from the past would cause some trouble to be sure but I have
    been wanting the OS guys to do this for over twenty years now.

    At a certain point you come out with some thing new, and if you didn't
    have to support _everything_ from the past things would run a lot
    smoother.

    OF course you would expect the current crop of endusers who systems
    work just fine to forgo upgrading if it's too disruptive/ expensive to
    replace all new apps and everything.

    If the end user is told what to expect and it isn't some big surprise
    then you can manage expectations (to a certain degree).

    Tell em; "We are working on a new OS that will be starting from
    scratch so don't install that crappy free screensaver you downloaded
    ten years ago and expect it to work.

    OTOH the major players will likely put out a new (hopefully) paired
    down version of Photoshop, CD Burn utils, Digital still & movie apps,
    etc.

    Some times you just need to move on.

    TBerk

    TBerk, Apr 7, 2008