    would system drive be faster connected to the onboard raid controller
    as opposed to the IDE 1 connector assuming both are running at ata
    100/ dma 5 ? or would it be the same? just a dumb question...

    Steve Vai, Sep 14, 2003

  2. Steve Vai

    Pug Fugley2 Guest

    Unless you're running a multiple drive RAID array, there will be no speed
    difference.

    Pug Fugley2, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Steve Vai

    Ed Guest

    On my old ABIT KT7 RAID board, the RAID controller was a lot faster in
    pure DOS mode running HDD backup apps like Ghost, Drive Image, but in
    Win98 was the same.

    Ed

    Ed, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Steve Vai

    Steve Vai Guest

    well, i connected the system drive to the raid controller...
    ran sandra 2k3 file system benchmark...

    Western Digital 80GB 8MB Buffer 7200RPM ATA100 (NTFS)

    connected to IDE 1 - 19229 Kb/sec
    connected to Raid - 28243 Kb/sec

    Reference 80GB 2MB Buffer 7200RPM ATA100 (NTFS win2k) - 29200 Kb/sec

    thats about the best i can hope for...ata100 my ass!!!!

    Steve Vai, Sep 15, 2003