    you wonder. Is it a commentary on the learning curve for the sales staff,
    simplicity and compatibility for the IT staff, or a negative commentary on
    the current state of VISTA?

    Kevin Childers, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Kevin Childers

    HH Guest

    I've got no desire to "upgrade" fom XP on either my desktops or notebook. XP
    has performed flawlessly for me from very early on. My only complaint is
    about the poor security and resulting gazillion security updates that are
    necessay.

    HH

    HH, Aug 8, 2007

  3. Kevin Childers

    Jez T Guest

    Upgrades to new operating systems do not happen overnight. They take a LOT
    of planning and testing. It's not the fire-and-forget throw-away attitude
    towards software that you can aford to have as a consumer or a small
    company. None of the large corporates I deal with are using Vista yet, and
    given that the applications environment is a lot more complex than it was at
    the time of the last really major upgrade (Windows 2000 - XP was
    comparatively simple), it could be another year or so before we start to see
    widespread adoption of Vista in the corporate environment.

    Jez T, Aug 8, 2007
  4. Kevin Childers

    - Bobb - Guest

    Agreed . When I worked at Compaq and DEC, we always had special apps that
    used ... whatever the current OS was ... and any big company is not going
    to jeopardize the daily routine of the personnel by being the first to
    find that new bug.

    Having said that, I do think that front line folks should have it on their
    laptops if trying to sell it to their clients. So I would give sales folks
    a Vista/XP dual boot laptop to use for sales calls if there is a feature
    in Vista that would help sell laptops to potential customers. Back in the
    office they could use XP again.

    - Bobb -, Aug 9, 2007
  5. Kevin Childers

    Jez T Guest

    Nah - Only the pre-sales technical people get let loose with that sort of
    thing.

    And 'ordinary' sales person can sell, but can't put on an entertaining show
    while he tries to get hod demo / presentation to work.

    Jez T, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Kevin Childers

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    as an interesting aside, the engineers we have been getting from EMC for our
    SAN projects, have until very very recently been given laptops that have
    2000 pro for thier OS. In the 2 month or so, the new laptops they have been
    issued are coming installed with XP.

    Talk about being behind the curve ....

    - LC

    NuT CrAcKeR, Aug 10, 2007
  7. Kevin Childers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, but why spend the money on new hardware and software when the current set
    of stuff meets the needs of everyone? Not all people want to be on the
    bleeding edge, or need to spend to get there... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 10, 2007
  8. Kevin Childers

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    going from an OS that is 7 years old to one that is 4 years old is hardly
    being on the bleeding edge. I understand and support the reluctance of
    companies to go to Vista ... its been more of a PITA than anything else for
    me.

    - LC

    NuT CrAcKeR, Aug 10, 2007
  9. Kevin Childers

    msg Guest

    Indeed... The right tool for the job and all that... I have found that
    for my hardware and applications mixes, Win2k pro on clients and Win2k
    Server are appropriate. I use no XP whatsoever and have no interest
    in the incompatible bloatware Vista.

    Regards,

    Michael

    msg, Aug 10, 2007