    Alan Browne Guest

    There are dozens and dozens of linux NG's - hard to figure which is
    useful/real. Or has everything gone to web forums?

    Alan Browne, May 8, 2012

  2. * Alan Browne (2012-05-09):
    Have you considered a mail-to-news gateway? news.albasani.net, for
    example, offers one for many mailing lists, e.g.
    '' is acccessible as 'linux.debian.user'.
    There's a lag when you post something, due to the mailing list's own
    moderation process, but I don't mind and am a happy user.

    -André

    André Berger, May 9, 2012

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    I was a member of several mail lists in the past. When they
    'splintered' it got out of hand. Real mess. With usenet you can sort
    through the crap quickly.

    The reason I'm curious about this is that I want to order a Raspberry Pi
    board (when they become truly available - can't even get on a wait list
    at present).

    Alan Browne, May 9, 2012
  4. I follow alt.os.linux.ubuntu and alt.os.linux.mint.

    The Ubuntu ng is very active, actually too much so as it is heavily
    congested with Wintrolls, Linux fanboi flamers, and some *very* abusive
    nymshifting malcontent(s). There are some very knowledgeable people
    there too, but signal to noise is a major issue. Post at your own peril.

    The Mint group has less traffic and less abusive regulars, but there
    have been times when tumbleweeds start blowing through as it resembles a
    ghost town in its less active periods. But many of the people there are
    helpful and also post on the Ubuntu group.

    I tried finding an active English language Fedora usenet group in the
    past, but to no avail.

    There are possibly more general interest Linux groups, but I'm not
    familiar with them. Steer clear of the advocacy groups. Some of that
    poison and vitriol manages to spill over into the Ubuntu group from time
    to time. It ain't pretty.
    Web forums are probably where you will find nicer and more helpful
    people. Activity level probably depends on how popular your distro of
    choice is. The Ubuntu forums are usually active and resourceful. It's
    been a while since I messed with Fedora, but you could probably find a
    lot of activity on their web forums too.

    *Hemidactylus*, May 10, 2012
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Thanks. I'll probably re-up with one of the Linux web forums (incl.
    RaspPi - but it hasn't gone critical yet).

    I'm not much of a Linux fan, but the Raspberry Pi has at least two
    formal Linux releases for it, so it's a good spot to start.

    Alan Browne, May 11, 2012
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Thanks, but I won't be doing anything that involves e-mail.

    Alan Browne, May 12, 2012
  7. * Alan Browne (2012-05-12):
    You got that wrong! You read and post to a (pseudo-) usenet group with
    the newsreader of your choice. The conversion is done by the server,
    and totally transparant to you.

    Sometimes people using the usenet interface cause mild irritations to
    the good folks on debian-user by talking about the 'newsgroup', which
    is in fact an interface to their mailing list.

    -André

    André Berger, May 12, 2012
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Sorry if I misunderstood. I'll check it out.

    Alan Browne, May 13, 2012