    MB_ Guest

    Any recommendations?

    Mel

    MB_, Mar 16, 2005

  2. for what operating system? zip/unzip is built into windows xp... point to
    an object, right click, select 'send to', then 'compressed (zipped)
    folder'.... to unzip just doubble click on an object.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 16, 2005

  3. MB_

    MadMan Guest

    It is also in WinME,

    MadMan, Mar 16, 2005
  4. MB_

    Lenny Guest

    Zip support is built into XP, as some have already mentioned. It's not very
    good zip support though (can't create multi-volume archives for example) and
    it won't handle any other formats either. If you're looking for something
    better, maybe you'd like to try either Filzip or 7zip for example.

    I'd recommend 7zip myself as it compresses .zip format better than other zip
    programs, features a ton of archive formats, and even features its own .7z
    format which offers superior compression to even .rar. All for free.
    http://www.7zip.org/ :)

    Lenny, Mar 16, 2005
  5. The zip support that's included with Windows sucks, fortunately there's
    a number of free programs that you can use to replace it.

    GUI based tools:
    IZarc (http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/ -- this is what I use when I want a GUI)
    7zip (www.7-zip.org -- very popular, but I've never tried ti)

    Console/Shell based:
    Gnu Utilities (http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/)
    Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/)

    One trick is to add the directory containing these progams to your path:
    Right click My Computer -> Advanced -> Env. Vars. -> System Vars. ->
    Path -> Edit -> (add a semicolon followed by the path to cygwin, eg.
    ....\systen32;C:\cygwin\bin) [ok]. Now whenever you're in DOS or a
    cygwin shell you can call the programs by just their name. Eg. to uzip
    every file ending in .zip in your current working directory, simply
    type: unzip *.zip. This is significantly faster than unzipping even a
    handful of files with a GUI based program individually.

    Oh to disable XP's automatic handling of zips:
    Start -> Run -> regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll [ok]

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 16, 2005
  6. MB_

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, 7zip is one of the many excellent open source projects finding their way
    into the world of Windows... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 16, 2005
  7. MB_

    Markeau Guest