OT: Mac Leopard OS, Impressive

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Journey, Oct 20, 2007.

  1. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I just watched the guided tour of Mac Leopard's new features and am
    very impressed:

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

    It leaves me wondering where the innovation is at Microsoft. Vista
    doesn't offer much more than XP. Apple's new OS, on the other hand,
    continues to innovate.

    I stopped by an Apple store last week and tried one of the programs
    that let you run Vista within a window of the Mac OS. Response time
    was very good and both OS's could be run concurrently. I asked the
    salesperson what the "gotchas" are, because with that kind of thing
    there are _always_ gotchas but he didn't know of (aka disclose of)
    any.

    A PC with the software available for it is still more useful (for me)
    than a Mac with less software available, even though OSX Leopard is
    leaps (pun not intended) and bounds beyond Vista. Hopefully
    competition will lead MS to innovate more the next time around.

    Journey, Oct 20, 2007

  2. Journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    Just curious what you consider to be innovative new features. In
    looking at 'what's new in Leopard', I didn't see anything that made me
    go 'wow'.

    Mostly Vista-like prettying up.

    I can have stationary in my mail.
    Hmm, could do that in 1997 with Outlook

    I can do video chat
    Hmm, could do that with MSN, Yahoo or Aim by at least 2000

    Quick Look
    Hmm, could do that with Explorer in, what, Windows 98?

    Time Machine
    Hmm, System Restore. Who hoo.

    I just don't see anything special.

    Tom Scales, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Journey

    Tony Harding Guest

    Spot on, Journey. ;)
    "Love means never saying you're sorry" and being a monopolist means you
    don't worry about innovation, except as a buzzword in court / the press.

    Tony Harding, Oct 20, 2007
  4. Journey

    RnR Guest

    That makes me wonder if we've come to the end of the line for
    inovation in OS's ? Frankly I can't think of any but I haven't
    really thought this out. Of course I can think of improvements in
    what they already provide.

    RnR, Oct 20, 2007
  5. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Just off the top of my head without reviewing it again ...

    I like the way that the "taskbar buttons" can be stacked. It would be
    a very handy interface.

    I like the way that objects seem to often perform within views as live
    objects -- scroll through pages of a document visually directly within
    an icon in finder, see the video within an icon in finder.

    Same goes with many other parts of the interface -- the objects appear
    that way.

    Sharing a computer view is very simple. Someone sends an invitation,
    you accept, and you can easily switch between desktops that both of
    you can fully control (and it is easy to do this -- intuitive).

    Time machine is a lot different than system restore. The video
    explains it pretty well.

    Mail is very easy to set up. Stationary might be easier to use on a
    Mac.

    Spaces lets you have any number of desktops, arrange the desktops,
    move items from one desktop to another.

    A weakness may be iCal compared to Outlook. I don't like Outlook's 3
    options for priority. Alternative programs (Palm Desktop, Franklin
    Covey) use a more flexible proritization scheme. Other than that, I
    like Outlook 2007 (but not prior versions) and would probably find
    iCal to be lacking. OneNote 2007 is also a program that is innovative
    that would be missing from the Mac.

    Journey, Oct 20, 2007
  6. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I think we are rapidly coming to the level of "good enough" in most
    areas of consumer technology.

    - A 160GB iPod is "good enough" because I will probably not want to
    carry any more music than that with me.

    - PC Processor speeds are "good enough".

    - Amount of hard drive space is "good enough".

    - Digital cameras are "good enough".

    - PDAs are "good enough" (My Palm TX is great except for the lack of
    voice recording).

    Your point could be made that "Vista is good enough" because you can
    run programs and find files on it.

    Journey, Oct 20, 2007
  7. Journey

    Jay B Guest

    i've installed macs with the Parallels software running which allows
    windows running concurrently and it is pretty cool. i run similar
    software under windows called vmware or also microsoft virtual pc.

    i still don't care for the mac look and feel.

    i also read thru the "innovations" in Leopard,
    and like Tom, i don't see anything too earth shattering.
    they are just bringing the mac up to speed on the functional features
    that we have had on the PC side for years already. and the mac gets a
    little bit better because of it.

    Likewise, Vista is Microsoft's attempt on bringing Windows up to the
    coolness level of mac os x. there's not a single new feature that i need.

    for me, i rather have quick responsiveness with my features. i dont
    like the extra slowness that vista provides, coupled with the extra time
    required to find where they hid all the feature settings, and for me,
    the mac os is not functional enough. very simply, not being able to
    right click is a waste of time.
    Jay

    Jay B, Oct 20, 2007
  8. Journey

    Von Fourche Guest

    If I am chosen to design cheesy special effects for George Lucas in the
    re-re-re-re-re-release of his Star Wars movies I will get a Mac. Until then
    I don't want one. I have
    always heard Macs are for "artists." I'm no artist. Unless web site
    creating is art - then
    I shall become the next Picasso!

    Von Fourche, Oct 20, 2007
  9. Journey

    RnR Guest

    I'd back it up a little and say XP is probably good enough. Not sure
    Vista really was inovative but I guess that's up to the Vista users to
    decide for themselves <g>.

    RnR, Oct 20, 2007
  10. Journey

    Von Fourche Guest

    This "good enough" talk reminds of what is going on in the dvd market
    with the new HD dvds and blu-ray dvds. I don' think they are catching on
    with the American public like regular dvds have. I think many people
    consider dvds "good enough" and there is not that big a desire to
    jump to HD or blue-ray dvd. The jump in quality from vhs to dvd was
    and is significant. But the jump from regular dvd to blue-ray or hd dvd is
    not
    that significant and so these new formats are not catching fire.

    Von Fourche, Oct 20, 2007
  11. "vista-like" lol!
    this page zeros in on the new features of lepoard:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/
    the finder now lets you browse all sorts of files like on the iphone lets
    you browse music and photos. it is fluid and incredibly impressive, not
    clumsy and awkward like windows preview.
    'spaces' let you keep multiple desktops for a single user. lets you
    separate work or play for instance...
    'time machine' is not just windows system restore. it is a full backup
    system that backs up user data and settings as well as system files. it can
    constantly backup user data so that you can recover lost files and it can be
    used to migrate all your settings and personal data to a new computer.
    there is some innovation in there, whether it matters to most people is up
    to them.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 20, 2007
  12. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I think the Mac has context (right click) functionality -- it is
    activated by holding down one of their special keys -- command or
    option probably -- and clicking.

    Journey, Oct 21, 2007
  13. Journey

    RnR Guest

    If my memory is correct from past reading, one of the negatives about
    the HD (I assume it's the same for blue ray but I'm not sure) is that
    the higher resolution requires larger file sizes. There may be more
    cons but to be honest I'm not that well read up on it and that's
    because you are CORRECT. I'm not that interested in the HD stuff
    since my eyes can only see some differences of non-HD to HD but
    probably not equal the actual differences between the two and
    therefore not worth to me the difference in cost. That said tho
    should everything become HD, I guess I'll have to cave in :( .

    RnR, Oct 21, 2007
  14. Journey

    Tony Harding Guest

    Sorry, no OS with the security & stability issues of Windows will ever
    be good enough IMHO.

    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..."

    Tony Harding, Oct 21, 2007
  15. Journey

    Tony Harding Guest

    Get back to us when you have your "Guerrnica". :)

    Tony Harding, Oct 21, 2007
  16. Journey

    Star Guest

    Time machine is totally different from system restore. It is a real
    program that allows control over what can be conisidered a backup
    program. It has borrowed the best features of several backup programs
    and put then is one spot. The problem I see is it does not appear to
    allow a bare metal restore of a system. It does allow a user to repair
    his/her personal stuff ups or program install stuffups much better
    than Windows system restore.

    Art

    Star, Oct 21, 2007
  17. Journey

    Jay B Guest

    if that's true, then i gotta use another hand to get something done?
    doesnt sound as convenient to me as a right click.

    Jay B, Oct 21, 2007
  18. if you are using the standard one button mouse your can get contextual menus
    using cntrl-click. you can alternatively get a two button mouse. on a
    macbook with touch pad you can either use cntrl-click or simply touch the
    touchpad with two fingers for contextual menus. the two finger method is
    nice. but by an large the need to 'right click' on a mac is mostly because
    you are running windows on a mac. try running osx on a pc and
    right-clicking will not be your biggest problem ;)

    here's a seven year old article from wired about the two button mouse being
    supported on the then new mac osx...
    http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2000/10/39773

    Christopher Muto, Oct 21, 2007
  19. Journey

    History Fan Guest

    Time machine is totally different from system restore. It is a real
    I'm not much of a fan of Windows 'System Restore' feature. I'd say 50%
    of the time it doesn't work when I use it.

    History Fan, Oct 21, 2007
  20. Journey

    Jim Higgins Guest

    There's the added matter of compatibility between the newer DVD
    formats. Information is a lot more pervasive today than when folks
    had to make their VHS vs Beta decisions a generation or more ago. With
    current DVDs being "good enough" I suspect consumers plan to let the
    market shake itself out before buying en masse.

    If enough stood on the sidelines when it comes to Vista maybe MS
    would get the word that performance is more important than fluff. As
    it is enough aren't standing on the sidelines and MS sees that fluff
    wins the day. Or so they say. I remains to be seen if their "sales"
    figures are real sales or just a lot of unused upgrade certificates.

    Jim Higgins, Oct 21, 2007