  1. Journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    It has to be true. There is only one button on a Mac mouse. Weird.

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2007

  2. Journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    Link? Surveys are meaningless. Controlled studies have value.

    I don't see any productivity differences between XP and Vista.

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2007

  3. Journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    You do realize:

    1) You can easily turn UAC off
    2) It never asks questions for normal programs, just things like
    installations and driver installs

    The amount of misinformation is stunning.

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2007
  4. Link? Surveys are meaningless. Controlled studies have value.
    I'm afraid I cannot remember the source but it was looking at the speed of
    drop down menus etc.

    Rob Nicholson, Dec 4, 2007
  5. Journey

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    ....that I said "this was written with some humor value in mind". :)

    I'll freely admit to providing an exaggerated scenario, but it's
    really *not* that far out from the reality.
    And I did. But Vista complained about that from the Windows Security
    Center. I turned that off too.

    I am not at all sure what the real "security" benefit of UAC is. Yes,
    it definitely could stop a surreptitious installation of software, but
    I can say with a good bit of certainty that the average user is just
    going to click "OK" and let Windows continue for whatever reason after
    a few of these.
    MMC, Display Properties, Device Manager, System Properties...all of
    these trigger a UAC alert just to come up on screen. You don't have to
    change a thing.

    Furthermore, Vista's new Explorer windows drive me up a wall. This is
    the one real deal breaker that has kept me off of Vista...I can't
    customize the toolbar in any way whatsoever, and that won't fly. I
    don't want the menubar under the toolbar. I use those toolbar buttons
    in earlier Windows Explorer versions all the time...and how
    longstanding is the concept of menubars being at the top of the
    window?

    William

    wm_walsh, Dec 4, 2007
  6. Journey

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    The "Z" key popped off of my Macbook one day out of the blue. I didn't
    even provoke it. Nor could I get it back on. So I took it to the
    dealer where I'd purchased it. No problem...they replaced the keyboard
    and it has been fine ever since. About that same time, the built in
    Ethernet port came unglued. That problem was fixed quickly and
    competently as well. (Note that Apple didn't do the repairs. The
    authorized Apple dealer I bought the machine from did. My experiences
    with Apple doing the repairs under the machine's warranty weren't as
    good. See the comment re: tech support below.)
    Something that I'll confess I cannot duplicate. I've let my Macbook
    run for days with the distributed.net client going full bore on it. It
    gets hot, but at no point has it ever shut down, become too hot to
    comfortably use on my lap or complained of being too hot. I can't
    imagine those processor cores could be doing anything to run any
    hotter--so far as I can tell, they are running as hot as they ever
    will.

    I heard the same concerns about overheating and "mooing" when I
    planned to buy mine, and I seriously wondered if such a purchase was a
    good idea. To that end, I've been very happy. Maybe I just got a good
    one...but I waited since I don't believe in purchasing "version 1.0"
    of anything.
    Yeah, that is not good...but "version 1.0" rears its ugly head again.
    Some people say so, but I don't think so. Apple products and solutions
    have their own unique set of problems and shortcomings. And Apple's
    attitude has at times best been described as "arrogant" when
    confronted with problems in their products. I do think that the
    increased popularity of their products, paired with demonstrations
    like the Month Of Apple Bugs may be changing that.

    Apple's technical support operation still hasn't come to realize that
    perhaps technical support should last as long as the hardware
    warranty. At $40 per call after the first 90 days of the machine's
    Well, I don't know what to make of this. It seemed like you were
    pretty happy to be buying an iMac and now you're really not happy at
    all.

    William

    wm_walsh, Dec 4, 2007
  7. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I agree about MS's new interface irritating me. Sorry for the
    language, but wtf -- the predecessor of these products used
    standardized menus, and had the ability to customize toolbars.
    Unbelievable.

    One thing I've found having a Mac now is that things are very
    standardized, even more so than prior Windows programs. In the
    Windows UI, many programs have preferences in different places.
    Programs for the Mac have them all in one place.

    Microsoft:

    - Totally boggled (technical term) the UI for Office 2007.

    - Completely mangled the UI for Internet Explorer.

    - Missed the boat with Vista's new Windows Explorer.

    - Provided almost nothing worthwhile in Vista over XP.

    It's amazing that they have done those things. Where was Bill Gates?
    It's hard to believe that he would have beta tested these products and
    actually signed off on them.

    Journey, Dec 4, 2007
  8. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I was pleasantly surprised with my Mac Book when I found out that it
    doesn't get hot at all, even when the CPU is really pushed. So, no
    overheating issues now with the Mac Books.

    Journey, Dec 4, 2007
  9. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Actually, I'm very happy. I just have high standards and acknowledge
    incompetence when I see it. I want a company like Apple to succeed,
    and for the most part I like the Mac OS much more than Vista.

    Perhaps my biggest pet peeve is when the 1.0 version of a product has
    glaring problems. My iPod Classic 160GB initially was very slow to
    the point where I almost returned it, and the equalizer settings
    produced distortion. The previous iPod 80GB didn't have those
    problems, so it was hard to understand how Apple went backwards.
    Fortunately the firmware updates since then have solved those
    problems.

    I think a lot of those kinds of problems would be solved if the
    development team and perhaps management would actually use the
    products for a month before release. If I were a product manager, I
    would keep using the latest prototypes or release candidates and put
    it through its paces.

    For the record, I love the Mac. It's fun. I have found a lot of
    really good software for it too. The mail applcation that comes with
    the Mac is better, IMO than Microsoft's mail, Outlook Express, and
    Outlook. I use rules extensively and though that the Mac's mail
    program wouldn't have the flexibility. On the contrary, it is very
    flexible.

    For someone that has multiple Macs, they can be kept in sync using the
    online .Mac, -- even mail rules. Mac's explorer seems to be
    integrated with the Internet drive. Obviously I haven't spent much
    time with these features because I may not be using the right terms.

    I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Windows programs can run
    very well within a virtual window using VMWare Fusion. It's amazing
    -- a Mac can run Windows within a window, and do it well.

    Journey, Dec 4, 2007