    Would that be right? Wrong? Huh? Beef?

    Thanks a lot all!
    Dam6

    Dam6, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Dam6

    Ben Pope Guest

    They are latencies (delays) measured in clock ticks, so assuming all else
    remains the same the lower the number, the faster it runs.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Dam6

    Glenn Guest

    Agreed.

    Also if are only running an FSB of say 266 (DDR), you can easily run faster
    memory (for example PC3200) with a CAS rating of 3 at CAS 2 without any
    problems. I know -it's exactly what I'm doing at the mo.

    Glenn

    Glenn, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Dam6

    Ben Pope Guest

    I was going to say that... but you can never be sure what's possible until
    you get a stick and try it.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Dam6

    Dam6 Guest

    I have an Athlon 64 and I understand that the FSB speed is not quite as
    important as it can run all the way from PC2100 to PC blaa blaa.

    My 3D mark is not quite as high as I would like so I would like to know the
    settings to change if the spd is not aggressively timed. The mem will
    arrive on Monday so I will give it a shot.

    Dam6, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Dam6

    Skid Guest

    an Athlon 64 and I understand that the FSB speed is not quite as
    For memory timings and other bios settings, the best guide is at
    www.rojakpot.com

    Skid, Jan 16, 2004
  7. Dam6

    Dam6 Guest

    Thanks G!

    Dam6, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Dam6

    Ben Pope Guest

    Well the biggest factor, next to the frequency is the CAS latency, in some
    not so scientific experiments, I found that in gong from CAS 2 to 2.5 was
    equivalent to about a 10% decrease in FSB, again going from 2.5 to 3 was
    another 10% or so, but this is on a Athlon XP. The other latencies are not
    nearly as important as CAS.

    Basically I would suggest you buy RAM that will run at CAS2.0 at the
    frequency you wish to run it. My Corsair 3200LL will do 2-2-2 at 220MHz
    which is pretty good, but the CPU don't like that FSB.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 16, 2004