    with at least 4 bays for a RAID 5 setup.

    Do you have any recommendations?

    Thanks,

    Guest, Dec 11, 2013

  2. 1) Any Synology unit that meets your needs

    2) Any Synology unit that meets your needs

    3) Any Synology unit that meets your needs

    Detecting a pattern? <g>

    I wanted a NAS for my office as well as home. Son in law is an IT
    wizard and also a AV freak. His home NAS is huge.

    Asked his advice and he said.... SYNOLOGY. Super easy set up even for a
    non-technical type (I'm pretty good with computers and networks) but
    this was sh*t simple.

    Unquestionably Confused, Dec 11, 2013

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Unquestionably> 1) Any Synology unit that meets your needs

    Unquestionably> 2) Any Synology unit that meets your needs

    Unquestionably> 3) Any Synology unit that meets your needs

    Unquestionably> Detecting a pattern? <g>

    Unquestionably> I wanted a NAS for my office as well as home. Son
    Unquestionably> in law is an IT wizard and also a AV freak. His
    Unquestionably> home NAS is huge.

    Unquestionably> Asked his advice and he said.... SYNOLOGY. Super
    Unquestionably> easy set up even for a non-technical type (I'm
    Unquestionably> pretty good with computers and networks) but this
    Unquestionably> was sh*t simple.

    They seem to get very good reviews. While the Hybrid RAID make a lot of
    sense, it makes me a bit nervous to have a non-standard implementation
    of RAID. If the unit dies, one would have to get anther until that
    understood same proprietary version of RAID.

    Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Hopefully I am wrong and this
    is not an issue.

    Thanks,

    Guest, Dec 12, 2013
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Unquestionably> 1) Any Synology unit that meets your needs

    Unquestionably> 2) Any Synology unit that meets your needs

    Unquestionably> 3) Any Synology unit that meets your needs

    Unquestionably> Detecting a pattern? <g>

    Unquestionably> I wanted a NAS for my office as well as home. Son
    Unquestionably> in law is an IT wizard and also a AV freak. His
    Unquestionably> home NAS is huge.

    Unquestionably> Asked his advice and he said.... SYNOLOGY. Super
    Unquestionably> easy set up even for a non-technical type (I'm
    Unquestionably> pretty good with computers and networks) but this
    Unquestionably> was sh*t simple.

    Quick question: After you set up the NAS using their web based software
    does the device show up as a normal Windows shared drive to other
    machines on the local windows network? I have read through the manual
    but it only seems to go over the configuration steps, not how the NAS
    looks after it is configured.

    Guest, Dec 29, 2013