    me.

    I have to replace the ketboard that came with a new Dell Optiplex. The keys are too hard to press.

    Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 6, 2008

  2. DaveJohnson12

    Bob Levine Guest

    I've read user reviews of the Microsoft natural ergonomic 4000.

    I've got one...I love it.

    Check Directron and Newegg for OEM.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Aug 6, 2008

  3. DaveJohnson12

    me Guest

    I've heard good things abt the one above as well!!

    I'm still undecided on a Bluetooth desktop set vs RF
    set

    Seems like a LOT more RF sets available than BT!

    me, Aug 6, 2008
  4. It looks like the Logitech Wave design. I want a wired keyboard and I don't see one equivalent
    to this keyboard. Too bad they are pushing wireless so much. Thanks.

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/m...ctlist.aspx?type=Keyboard&AdditionalType=Sets

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 7, 2008
  5. Thanks. I'm tempted. They seem to be low quality though a few complaints could be misleading.
    It might still be a low percentage of keyboards with bad keys. Another gripe I see is the letters
    are decals that come off in a few months.

    Another thing I'm not sure about is it's 19.8 inches wide. This means the mouse is far off to the
    side. Not very ergonomic and can cause wrist injuries. My Dell keyboards are 17.5 and 18.5".

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 7, 2008
  6. DaveJohnson12

    me Guest

    You know..... I never thought of the above abt wide
    keyboards!!

    Thanks for pointing that out to me! Duh!

    I'm using a Microsoft Comfort curve right now and have
    always thought its TOO wide cause it makes me keep the
    mouse at too much of a right angle to my body!!

    It just never "occurred" to me the bennies of a
    narrower keyboard

    I have always liked the small and compact Dell office
    type keyboards cause they are narrow!

    me, Aug 7, 2008
  7. DaveJohnson12

    DaveJohnson Guest

    :) You're welcome.
    How are the keys to press? Easier than average?
    It seems a lot of the more expensive and probably better quality keyboards
    are also wider than the cheaper ones.
    My old Dell Performance keyboard was fine (I thought) at 18.5 inches. The new one though is a
    finger buster from Lite-On. The keys are so hard to press I'm surprised that Dell would
    sell their computers with such a hunk o' crap to save a little money. The optional multimedia
    keyboard might be better. The HP's I've used were much better and similar to my old Dell keyboard.

    DaveJohnson, Aug 7, 2008
  8. DaveJohnson12

    Bob Levine Guest

    I've seen no evidence of this at all, but I too have read those reports.
    I've been using this thing for well over a year.
    Why not take a ride to Staples or Best Buy and play with the keyboards
    on display. It's really the only way to tell if YOU are going to like it.

    But I hate narrow keyboards. I find them very unergonomic and the extra
    inch or two that the mouse is off to right is way less of problem.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Aug 7, 2008
  9. DaveJohnson12

    Steve W. Guest

    Maybe for the same reasons I don't like them. Battery replacement, extra
    RF noise you don't need or IR interference with other controls.

    Steve W., Aug 7, 2008
  10. DaveJohnson12

    me Guest

    me, Aug 7, 2008
  11. I tried three of them today and the space bar was hard to press on all of them. Many people
    who did user reviews were happy with theirs.
    You are right. I went to them and another store today.
    Some people have wrist injuries so the wide ones could be a problem for them. I tried some good
    keyboards today that were narrower than the MS 4000 but none of them were narrow. It seems
    most of the best ones are not narrow.

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 8, 2008
  12. I didn't think of the RF noise. Now that you mention it that may be a good reason.

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 8, 2008
  13. I don't want to have to by batteries for it. It's enough that I need 4 sets of batteries to watch
    one TV. :)

    I tried out the Microsoft Laser Desktop 6000 today and going by the feel of the keys and the curved
    layout only (it wasn't plugged in), it's probably the best I tried. I think the keys were as easy to
    press as anything I tried including the MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 and the Logitech Wave and the
    keystroke was the shortest of all the MS and Logitech keyboards I tried. I tried a few others,
    Gateway, HP and Kensington and it was better then them as well. Overall for ergonomics it may be the
    best you can buy at stores like Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City, etc.

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 8, 2008
  14. This would be good for someone who doesn't need the numeric keypad. I need it because I use
    the Windows Mousekeys feature sometimes. That seems like a lot of money for a keyboard and mouse.
    Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 8, 2008
  15. I'm going to try that one out tomorrow. It may be just what I'm looking for
    or as close as I'm going to get. I tried some other MS curved keyboards today
    and they were good except that they were wireless and I want wired.

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 8, 2008
  16. DaveJohnson12

    me Guest

    Well I'm going to take back what I said abt the Comfort
    Curve! I measured it and its really only 18.5"
    wide...so that's not out of line with your needs at
    all.

    In fact.... I like the comfort curve the more I use it!
    Its inexpensive..... less than $20 in some places..and
    seems well built and ergonomic!

    it is however a wired keyboard but that's what you
    want.

    Id say give it a try!!

    If you do let me know what YOU think of it!

    me, Aug 8, 2008
  17. DaveJohnson12

    me Guest

    I hear ya on the batteries!

    Sometimes the old way is still the best (wired)

    Question for the group:

    I've been seriously thinking abt getting desktop soon
    to use as a DVR computer for a flat screen TV

    Naturally you would want some kind of wireless keyboard
    for that.

    I've been thinking that maybe I could keep the cheap
    WIRED keyboard and mouse hooked up to the DVR computer
    for those times I would be sitting down in front of it

    BUT for those times I'm sitting say 10 feet away have
    been thinking abt this mini dinovo bluetoooth unit. see
    link

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126039

    So my questions is this:

    Is it possible to have TWO sets of keyboard/mice hooked
    up to computer simultaneously? One would be wired....
    the other BT wireless.

    me, Aug 8, 2008
  18. Another thing I don't like is extra radiation especially now that I see some neurologists
    saying there could be a risk from cellphones.
    I've used two keyboards at the same time. Both were wired.

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 9, 2008
  19. No that would be fine for me. I'd be happy to get one that length.
    I see it at Walmart for a little over $15. A bargain if I like how the keys feel.
    I'll go there within the next few days. I'll tell you what I think when I try it. Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 9, 2008
  20. It did help to get an idea of what people are using, thanks. The split ones can be good
    if the keys work the way they should. They take a little time to get used to.

    DaveJohnson12, Aug 10, 2008