OT: Newegg kudos and info

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RnR, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Normally I don't like to make a special post just to plug a vendor but
    I'll make an exception and pass some info along which might help
    others regardless of vendor ???

    To make a long story shorter, I had to get an RMA for a return
    (defective product) yesterday and according to their written policy,
    I'd have to pay 15% restocking fee and the return postage. I tried
    to email them but found that email may take 24 hours to get replies so
    being impatient I tried their "live" chat. Either I got lucky with
    an excellent employee or live chat works wonders. Anyway I was able
    to get an RMA immediately with the necessary explanation how to use it
    (never used one before) and after I explained my problem and what I
    tried to do to solve it in the live chat, he waived my restocking fee
    and return shipping costs for the defective product.

    So kudos to "newegg.com" for their excellent support and perhaps
    "live" chat is the way to go to get quick informative answers (and
    perhaps favorable results too) with any on line vendor if it is
    available.

    ps-- if it matters (probably not) that defective product was a dual
    bay exterior hard disk enclosure. It was a real nice one but after
    trying everything I could think of and what I could read from the net,
    no go. I am replacing it with a single drive ext. enclosure
    (different brand and not as nice but has still good ratings). I
    already have 2 new 500gig seagates to use with it. I'll just swap out
    the drives with the new single enclosure (at least it will be a bit
    lighter to carry).

    RnR, Mar 4, 2008

  2. RnR

    Journey Guest

    I've also had good experiences with both newegg and live chat in
    general.

    Journey, Mar 4, 2008

  3. RnR

    Bob Levine Guest

    Yup...my new machine is all Newegg. But I'll throw in another $0.02 for
    Directron. I've purchased keyboards, mice and the like from them in the
    past with no issues.

    When I built my machine a few months ago, the case I wanted was out of
    stock at Newegg so I bought it from Directron....When it arrived, UPS
    left it in the driveway looking like it had been tossed out of moving truck.

    The front bezel was damaged. I called them, and got an RMA and they
    arranged to get UPS back to pick it up. By that time Newegg had them
    back and $40.00 cheaper. Since they ship from close by I'd get it the
    next day where as with Directron it would have taken up to a week so I
    ordered from Newegg and had a credit on my Discover account 5 days later
    from Directron.

    You really don't know much about a vendor until something goes wrong.
    Directron and Newegg both seem to pass with flying colors.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Mar 4, 2008
  4. RnR

    S.Lewis Guest

    If I can't find it at either newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com, I probably don't
    need it.

    I'd consider mwave.com and buy.com a distant 3rd and 4th.....

    I've RMA'd a few times to both newegg and ZZF, and they've been fantastic.

    Buy.com has some awfully good prices on 'hot deals', but their default
    shipping is by far the slowest I've experienced.

    S.Lewis, Mar 4, 2008
  5. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    See my comment on external drives bought from Buy.com. Apparently you don't
    always get what you expect from Buy.com, and maybe they don't know what they are
    selling either... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 4, 2008
  6. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Years ago Buy.com was a favorite of mine but after reading some recent
    reviews, I stop buying from them. That said, yes I see they have some
    well priced specials tho I still hesitate to buy from them after those
    reviews.

    RnR, Mar 4, 2008
  7. RnR

    Paul Guest

    Got to be careful buying any sort of LCD display from them - they have a
    strict "no returns" and a not so generous dead pixels policy.

    I bought a small Samsung LCD TV from them that had obviously been returned
    and repackaged (not to mention the picture quality generally sucked), and
    they gave me a hard time about returning it. Fortunately I spend enough $$
    with them on the business side that they made an exception "just this once"

    They are great for general computer parts and accessories, but I would never
    buy any large dollar consumer electronics item from them again.

    -- Paul

    Paul, Mar 4, 2008
  8. RnR

    S.Lewis Guest

    Paul -

    Good point. I think their policy states that 8 dead pixels are the
    acceptable limit. Am I wrong?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 5, 2008
  9. RnR

    Paul Guest

    Yes, I beleive 8 dead pixels is their standard. In their previous website
    design they stated the return policy and dead pixel policy right up front
    with the picture of the product and product description. Later on they
    moved it under the "returns and rebates" tab. So unless you know to click
    there and look, you could get burned.

    For example right now they're touting a 26" LG TV deal on the home page -
    upon closer examination there are no returns and NO EXCHANGES. Ouch.

    -- Paul

    Paul, Mar 6, 2008
  10. RnR

    S.Lewis Guest

    Certainly best to read the fine print before 'rolling the dice', especially
    on big ticket items.

    S.Lewis, Mar 6, 2008
  11. RnR

    Journey Guest

    I don't think I've ever seen a dead pixel. Maybe I don't know what to
    look for.

    Journey, Mar 6, 2008
  12. RnR

    Tom Lake Guest

    It's a pixel that doesn't light up. It would be black even when the
    background is another color. A stuck pixel, OTOH, is one that lights
    up but doesn't change color. Stuck pixels can sometimes be fixed by
    cycling through all the colors rapidly. A dead pixel is forever.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 6, 2008
  13. RnR

    Journey Guest

    I think maybe ignorance is bliss for the stuff I already have and I
    won't try to find any dead pixels, but I'll look at the HDTV delivered
    today and check for that. Thanks.

    Journey, Mar 6, 2008