OT--OE deleted files folder and B/U

Discussion in 'Dell' started by MZB, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. MZB

    MZB Guest

    I have a DELL with XP Home but this is probably an OE query. But I figured
    i'd post it here for you smart folks to answer!!

    OK -- long story but basically I have an EXPLOIT code problem with an email,
    located in 2 places:

    c:\DOCUME~1\MYNAME\LOCALS~1\APPLIC~1\IDENTI~1\{DFF16~1\MICROS~1\OUTLOO~1\DELETE~1.DBX/[From
    "postmaster" <>][Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006
    00:10:54 -0500]/html suspicion: Exploit.HTML.Iframe.FileDownload

    c:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-~1\DC1273.BAK/[From "postmaster"
    <>][Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 00:10:54 -0500]/html
    suspicion: Exploit.HTML.Iframe.FileDownload

    It's been recommended that I totally delete the problem email. Well, I can
    do this easily from the first case: it is just in my deleted files folder.
    But the second occurrence is a B/U of my deleted files folder. My question:
    if I delete this folder, would it get rebuilt. I hope so, as I would like to
    keep a B/U of my deleted files folder (after I delete the bad email). Or I
    guess I can manually copy that folder there.

    Mel

    MZB, Jan 14, 2007

  2. MZB

    Jay B Guest

    i would delete the single bad message from your deleted email folder,
    then compact it. if youcannot identify the message in there, then
    delete them all. then you can delete the file from the recycle bin as
    well , you dont need to empty the entire recycle bin.
    you can also ignore that because it cant cause any harm there.

    Jay B, Jan 14, 2007

  3. MZB

    MZB Guest

    Correction:

    The RECYLER folder does NOT normally contain a B/U of the deleted files
    folder.

    It is the recycle bin folder.

    For some reason, that same email must have been there.

    Anyway, I did choose to emptied the recycle bin and now the c:\RECYCLER is
    empty.

    Ah... I think I've figured out how such a B/U got in the recycle bin.

    Every so often, when you close OE, it offers to compact folders. When I say
    YES, part of the compacting process is to B/U each folder in OE, do the
    compacting, and when successful it deletes the B/U file. For small folders,
    the B/U might be done in memory only. But for large folders like my deleted
    files folder (which I never empty), it saves the B/U somewhere and then
    deletes it.

    That's how it got in the recycle bin, I think

    Is this what you are also saying, Jay??

    BTW, I did find the offending message in the deleted files folder and I
    deleted that, too

    I hope I'm done with this malware problem.

    I practice "safe hex" but I still got hit. But, then again, I guess it was
    good I got alerted to it quickly!

    MZB, Jan 14, 2007
  4. right, compacting oe folders results in '.bak' versions of your folders
    being placed in the recycle bin.
    i suggest that you relocate your oe folders to something like "outlook
    express" under "my documents".
    you can do with via tools-options-maintenance(tab)-storefolder(button)...
    then when you back up "my documents" you also backup your oe data. the only
    thing you are left with hunting down is your oe address book which is stored
    in a different folder than your oe folders. search for '*.wab' and you will
    find it. i just periodically copy that wab file into the "\my
    documents\outlook express" folder so that i backup a relatively recent copy
    of it.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 14, 2007
  5. MZB

    Jay B Guest