(OT)OEM MS Office Basic and/or OEM Office XP question:

Discussion in 'Dell' started by S.Lewis, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Hypothetical:

    OEM Machine A was destroyed by lightning. It was purchased with an OEM copy
    of MS Office XP. Original sealed discs including key are with the machine.

    Machine B: is working and was sold to a second party, but no discs or media
    were included. According to its service tag/original configuration, it also
    was purchased with an OEM copy of MS Office XP.

    I take it that it is STILL illegal to install the copy of Office XP from
    Machine A onto Machine B..... ?

    I love licensing threads and unnecessary arguments. But I'm actually faced
    with the possibility of this question. Obviously, I don't want the MIB from
    Redmond to come here and crack my skull and throw me into jail.

    Opinions? My initial opinion is that by the letter of the EULA this is still
    illegal.

    Thanks,

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Yes, it's illegal (or at least a violation of the OEM EULA) to install
    Machine A's copy of Office onto machine B.

    BUT ..... it is NOT illegal to repair machine A, which, in this case,
    might mean replacing .... well, everything except the sheet metal. And
    there is no requirement that the machine be repaired with the exact same
    parts (e.g. the motherboard, CPU and disk drive might all be different
    models, might all be, ah, "newer").

    In the end, if your conscience is comfortable, what matters is what
    product activation and WGA will allow. And, in turn, those come down to
    a phone call with you on one end and a Microsoft rep on the other end.
    What you say, and the exact words you use, and your tone of voice, might
    determine the outcome. So might whether the person on the other end is
    having a "good" day or a "bad" day. If someone peed in her Wheaties at
    the wrong time of the month, you might have a hard time. OR, Microsoft
    might have a hard time ("screw this company, I'm activating everyone
    today .....")

    The process, you see, is totally scientific and objective, with
    absolutely no case-to-case variation whatsoever.

    Comment: There is a huge difference between describing something as an
    "upgrade" vs. a "repair"

    Barry Watzman, Aug 22, 2007

  3. S.Lewis

    WSZsr Guest

    You undoubtedly will go straight to Hell!

    WSZsr, Aug 22, 2007
  4. Hi!
    Don't you mean "Dell"? If so, he's already here! :-D

    (Sorry. I have a strange sense of humor. It's not meant to offend.)

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 22, 2007
  5. S.Lewis

    Journey Guest

    Oh please, I doubt that it comes down to tone of voice and whether
    someone is having a good or bad day. Now I may be totally out of line
    to say that and if so I apologize but it sounds pretty hokey to me.

    Journey, Aug 22, 2007
  6. S.Lewis

    ric Guest

    I'm assuming that you have two Dells, both of which came with Office
    XP installed, and came with OEM Office XP disks to reinstall if
    needed.
    Machine A has died, but you have its Office XP disk. Machine B is
    working fine but doesn't have Office installed.

    If you were to compare bit-for-bit Machine A's OEM Office disk and the
    one that originally came with Machine B, you'd find they were flat out
    identical. Hence I really can't see the problem here: you've "found"
    Machine B's missing Office CD, in effect...it's a little bit like the
    old saw of "if a tree falls in a forest when there's no-one around to
    hear it, does it make a sound"...

    Ric

    ric, Aug 22, 2007
  7. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Ric -

    It's not meant to be a flippant question at all; but given the MS EULA
    legalty questions and specifically how an OEM license/COA stays with a given
    system/OEM hardware configuration, it's a serious question both legally and
    ethically.

    The truth is that if Machine A is never in use again (not salvageable other
    than a few HW components that will be scattered about after testing), then
    there's *no* risk of that copy of MSOffice being validated or active on more
    than one machine (Machine B). And, in fact, if there's a "crime" it would
    rest with whomever has Machine B's media for MSOffice if it is installed on
    a system that was never purchased with the bundle to begin with.

    I genuinely wanted some of the more adamant licensing proponents to pick the
    scenario apart with their most severe criticism and legal points.

    I'm trying to do the right thing here.('When in doubt, don't.')

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 22, 2007
  8. S.Lewis

    ric Guest

    No, I take your point. I guess to further clarify it, if you used
    Machine A's install media and licenced it with Machine B's Office key
    then there's no possible problem: the media you install from is
    effectively the same. If you see what I mean.

    I must say that *personally* I wouldn't lose sleep over moving an OEM
    copy of Office from one machine to another, provided you didn't have
    it installed simultaneously on two machines. This isn't permitted
    officially via EULA but I *personally* think that a) I can't see the
    harm as you're not pirating anything or depriving MS of revenue, and
    b) MS won't know, I wouldn't worry too much. I appreciate YMMV,
    though.

    Personally, I'd sack it off and use Open Office for nothing if I was
    that bothered about it...

    ric, Aug 22, 2007
  9. It's a live interaction over the phone between two people over a subject
    matter area that is more than a little "gray". [Do you agree with that?]

    I rest my case.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 23, 2007
  10. S.Lewis

    Fixer Guest

    For christs sake , just supply the disks from machine A with Machine B so
    long as machine B has a licence then there is no way on this planet that you
    can tie a particular disk made in whatever factory around the world to a
    particular machine even the germans arn't that maticulous at keeping
    records, so long as its got a licence it dont matter what disk you use to
    install

    Fixer, Aug 23, 2007
  11. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'm not overly worried at all. I just wanted to see where people's opinions
    fell on this.

    I personally see no ethical issue with it really - given that money is
    money and it's only installed on one machine, but I think it illustrates the
    fallacy of some MS' licensing rules.

    S.Lewis, Aug 23, 2007
  12. S.Lewis

    Fixer Guest

    thats very true and i wasn't having a go at you personnally more some of the
    anal replies you recieved

    Fixer, Aug 23, 2007
  13. S.Lewis

    RnR Guest

    I have some issues too with their licensing as I understand it from
    reading others' posts. To me it's just too restrictive. Of course
    not all agree with me.

    RnR, Aug 23, 2007