    I thought the days of having to buy better hardware in order to keep
    up with bloated software were over. Definitely not. It's all a
    conspiracy!

    journey, Dec 23, 2006

  2. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'm confused. Wasn't it you that started a lengthy thread about how much
    you LIKED the new Office and how impressed you were with it?

    Tom Scales, Dec 23, 2006

  3. journey

    J. Brad Guest

    Yep:

    "I spent another day with Office 2007. I found myself wanting to go to
    menus often, although when I finally did figure out where the new
    functions are.

    In some ways MS is going backwards (or forwards in an inferior way
    than in the past). The help system is an example. The .chm help
    files with Contents, Index, and Search is much better than what they
    offer now.

    There seems to be only one customizable bar (I could be wrong).

    In the past I was a computer programmer / database analyst, and used
    VBA and many other higher-end capabilities of Word, but now I'm mearly
    a user creating simple documents, and for that it works well for me.

    I am more surprised by new features or ways of doing things than I am
    irritated by not being able to find features that I easily knew were
    on particular menus.

    I am still very irritated that the bullet alignment under Windows 97
    (which didn't have an indent -- the bullet was right below the line
    above) has an indent. I will probably live with it rather than trying
    to change the normal template

    For IT shops supporting it should be much easier. For most users they
    will probably be able to discover and use more functions more easily.

    So, for me, IE7 is a disaster, Office 2007 I like, and Vista no
    experience yet -- hopefully a pleasant surprise."

    Posted by Journey 12-03-06. Roses are Red, Violets are Blue. I'm
    Schizophrenic and so am I.

    J. Brad, Dec 23, 2006
  4. journey

    journey Guest

    Like you said to Irene, Tom, are you analyzing my posts so closely?
    "I'm honored".

    "The only thing constant is change".

    And that applies to opinions, too.

    journey, Dec 23, 2006
  5. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    I was just confused. Opinions change, but you seem to have WIDE swings :)

    Tom Scales, Dec 23, 2006
  6. journey

    journey Guest

    Ah, OK ... I can get defensive at times, and text communication has
    it's limitations in regards to that.

    I both like and dislike things about Word 2007.

    The biggest con for me is the very slow performance on my P4 ~3Ghz PC.
    It seems to take forever to load. That's almost a show-stopper for me
    because I often edit more than one file. I will never use Word 2007
    on my current computer to edit a large number of files.

    Fortunately, I can save from Word 2007 (of course) in formats that
    other word processors can read. That enables me to use it for
    creating new documents. I find that I can get to the most-often used
    commands a lot faster with the new ribbon fixed design. Features such
    as preformatted table styles are easy to get to. The Office 2007
    programs can display up to 50 recently used documents (finally) which
    is a big improvement.

    Unfortunately, as I said above, despite some of the good features,
    very slow performance makes it a show stopper for editing more than a
    few documents at a time. It's also a bit unsettling to lose control
    over placement of features on a toolbar, but I have to say that I like
    how they placed the controls for Word 2007.

    My favorite word processor is Atlantis, which is super fast, and it
    will even remember the set of documents that were open before, and
    display them on a right pane, and the document positions on that pane
    can be moved with simple drag / drop. For better performance, I also
    like Office 97, and Open Office.

    So, there are pros / cons, but on my current hardware Word 2007 will
    be relegating to editing only a few documents at a time, while my word
    processor of choice is Atlantis
    (http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/) for faster editing or for
    editing a lot of documents.

    Well I'm off to eat turkey etc. at a friend's. Happy holidays!

    journey, Dec 23, 2006
  7. journey

    journey Guest

    I just did a Google search on "office 2007 is slow" and others seem to
    concur about the performance problems. I don't understand how MS
    could release a product in this state. I think Bill Gate$ (Mr.
    Monopoly) should try using his own products before they are released
    so that he can tell the development team to get its act together. If
    M$ had competition, I bet they would have released this product in a
    much better state.

    journey, Dec 23, 2006
  8. journey

    Kevin M Guest

    Tom,

    I'm so sorry, I did not mean to reply directly to you earlier. I meant to
    hit the "Reply Group".

    Happy Holidays

    Kevin

    Kevin M, Dec 23, 2006
  9. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's OK -- that one should have been private :)

    Tom Scales, Dec 23, 2006
  10. journey

    journey Guest

    Um, OK, does that mean you have a "special relationship" together? lol

    journey, Dec 23, 2006
  11. journey

    BillW50 Guest

    From what I have read, you jumped from Word 97 to Word 2007, is that
    right? My favorite Office/Word is still 2000. Although Office/Word 2003
    isn't that bad.

    I never heard of Atlantis, tell me more? Details, details, details!
    <grin> Still my favorites are Word 2000 and WordStar v5, believe it or
    not. And I use both to edit plain text messages.

    I bought Open Office (yes bought), but I never installed them (2
    copies). As I heard people rave about it, but then I heard things and I
    never installed them. One was I believe they said it was slower than
    Word 2000. Second it was more like a Word Lite.

    Happy holidays Journey! No rush on a reply. Enjoy!

    BillW50, Dec 23, 2006
  12. journey

    journey Guest

    I've had all the Office versions from 6.0 onward, including Office
    2003. I have found all of them after Office 97 to be too bloated
    without really adding much.
    I recommend, if you are interested, going to the link, reading about
    it, and downloading the trial.

    An example of what I like is that I can open Atlantis, and then go to
    Windows Explorer, select the files I want to open in Atlantis, drag
    them to the task bar button, and into the Atlantis window, and it will
    open them all (quickly) for editing, and you can display a list of the
    files to the right of the editing window so you can just click on any
    of the files to go to that one. You can also reorder the list of
    files using drag / drop. This is very good for copying information
    between files.

    You can set it so that the next time you open Atlantis, it opens up
    that whole set of files.
    I think there have been significant enhancements to it.
    Will do, you too.

    journey, Dec 24, 2006
  13. journey

    paulmd Guest

    There is much to like in the openoffice.org suite. The word processor,
    and um, the word processor. They're working on the other modules, too,
    but they're not as good as the commercial products.

    Version 2.1 recently released.

    paulmd, Dec 24, 2006
  14. journey

    BillW50 Guest

    Really? You found Office 2000 slow? As I used both a lot and I always
    thought Office 2000 was great and Office 97 a little on the buggy side.

    I haven't used Office 2003 very much, so I really don't know that much
    about it. I do have a trial version on my Gateway laptop which I haven't
    used yet (it is good for 60 days once you use it I think). Also isn't
    the trial versions of Office free from Microsoft anyway?
    I never saw the link, but I found it on Google:

    http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/
    But you can do this with a lot of Windows based applications, including
    Oh that is different. <grin> There is one text file I use all of the
    time. So if anything is open, it is usually that one. I didn't see
    anywhere if Atlantis can read Word files. Do you know? As can it deal
    with plain text files? As I use plain text the most when fonts, styles,
    and images isn't important.

    Also while this is rare on most word processors, I love the split bar
    (right above the scroll bar and drag) within Word (WordStar does this
    too). I think most don't know it is there. And if they do, they don't
    know how handy this could be.
    That could be, but this is how I think of it. Correct me if you like.
    But if you already have MS Office, then Open Office won't do you much
    good. I also view Linux the same way. If you have Windows and it works
    fine, then why bother with Linux?
    Have a good one! <grin>

    BillW50, Dec 24, 2006
  15. journey

    Eugene Guest

    The spreadsheet is quite nice as well, it doesn't have the clipboard
    clearing problem that excel has had through several versions.

    Eugene, Dec 24, 2006
  16. journey

    Brian Smith Guest

    Depending on what you use the file for you could turn it into a template and
    just have it load automatically via the Tools>Templates and Add-Ins... menu.
    If you are using the file as a reference document or just always want it
    available, there is a now undocumented feature called the Work menu. You can
    add this menu to your menu bar and it allows you to save the current
    document (once saved) to this menu. You can add up to nine documents to this
    menu or a combination of commands and files. My understanding is Word 2007
    will allow up to 50 files but there might be some restrictions based on
    screen resolution (something about not being able to scroll through the
    list--once Word 2007 is in the hands of more people we might find out more
    about this feature if people know about it).

    Brian

    Brian Smith, Dec 26, 2006
  17. Heh, not any more! ;)

    Sparky Spartacus, Dec 26, 2006
  18. journey

    journey Guest

    I looked for how to do this and I can't find it. The help system is
    almost useless (not for this, for many things). MS should have stuck
    with its .chm help which is much better.

    journey, Dec 27, 2006